Is toddler nudity at the beach seen as "weird" these days? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son LOVES to run around naked... and we're going on a beach vacation soon and I was thinking he'd love running around the beach and playing in the water in the buff (and will make diapering life easier also), is it "acceptable" to have nude kids out in public or will people take issue with this? Of course I'd be careful to protect him from the sun, I just don't want people to be weird about it. 

#2 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It may depend on where you're going. I'm originally from the East Coast and it was pretty much unheard of at the places we'd go (Ocean City, MD, Outer Banks).

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 PM

I'm also from the east coast, and would have to say it's entirely age dependent.  I don't think you'd get weird looks if he is 20 months old.  But if he's much older, you may (you know, from the same crowd that thinks that breastfeeding a 3 year old is child abuse).  

I say go for it.  It's not going to be "normal" until people do it when it's not normal.  But, that's easy to say from the comforts of my couch wink1.gif.

#4 of 6 Old 04-01-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses :)

We'll be in the Caribbean so hopefully people down there will be a bit more laid back. He'll be 12 months so still tiny... I just can't picture him liking sand in his diaper very much and he'll want to pull it off I'm sure. He doesn't like diapers on as it is, but I can manage to secure them on him with jeans (so he can't grab the velcros) lol 

#5 of 6 Old 04-02-2013, 04:05 AM

People may be thinking about the poop in the water factor...
#6 of 6 Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 AM

I would think many of the beach goers in your Caribbean destination would be European, so the little person nudity would be seen as normal for them. I remember, many years ago before becoming a mom, how appalled I would be at a nude child on the beach. Now, having a child and living in South Florida with mostly foreigners and witnessing my fair share of nakies, I feel like it's really the smart way to enjoy the beach! My daughter doesn't get to be that free, but I see absolutely nothing wrong with it! I would just make sure he wears a swim diaper in the water, but can be naked again on the sand. Have fun!

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page