3yo DD throwing toys *sigh* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-04-2013, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 3yo-- which I guess is still a toddler? I am never sure these days... Is a maniac compared to what she was a 2. She mastered walking a bit later then some kids, (16mo) though still well within normal range. I feel like this is her most physical self which isn't saying much, she was never the active kid. She also is developing a love of tossing things in the air and to her dismay, DH and I don't enjoy this much at all.

When we are talking, watching TV or not 100% engaged with her, she tends to toss things around or even screams over us to "SHH", that sort of thing. She's hit DH more then a few times with a toy. We are not at all consistant with what we do after this event. Consistency is NOT DHs strong suit at all.

We explain not to throw things, put it down gentle, how it hurts daddy, the whole spiel everytime, but sometimes give time outs (which I really don't use, they just amount to more crying and don't do much at this age, IMHO), I've left the room and tried to get DH to do this which I think would REALLY work, but he's not good at following through. I've also tried ignoring it of course, as well as engaging DD in a toss game with a soft toy to encourage her throwing skills.

Any other ideas for me? Is this just something that'll pass? We know she's testing us each and everyday but feel our inconsistencies are not helping. I'd love some outside perspective. Thanks mamas!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 PM

I tell her not to throw the toy, offer her something she can throw or suggest how she can play with it acceptably and if she throws it again or another toy like it I'll put the toy in timeout (ie toy goes somewhere she can't reach for the rest of the day usually). Toys in timeout work very well for her as she doesn't want that to happen and its a nice logical consequence of throwing a hard toy that she knows she isn't supposed to throw. This is just for throwing stuff around, if she was throwing at someone on purpose, I'd put the toy in timeout the first time as that is dangerous.

Also, since it sounds like she is doing it for attention, I would give her options to get your and DH's attention that are acceptable, but also that she needs to wait and be patient too if you are in the middle of a conversation or task. Then make sure you follow through when done with what you are doing and ask her what she needs and I will thank my DD for waiting as I really do appreciate it. Patience is not an easy thing for anyone, but definitely something you have to teach early and often!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#3 of 3 Old 04-05-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Great ideas! Trying them tonight when she usually starts-- I know it's because she's tired and I've tried to get her in bed earlier but she fights it.

How do you mean by others ways of getting my attention? Like asking her to tap on my leg or something and wait till I respond type example?

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page