28 month old crying all the time - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello I have never written on anything before so sorry if doesnt make sense my son is constantly upset or crying doesnt matter what we are doing he always gets upset he doesnt want to be with anyone but me or his dad he cries if we walk out of the room if we make dinner if we go shopping if we go in the garden to play if his friends come round the only time he doesnt cry is when hes asleep I dont understand nothing has changed he has never been spoilt he has always been well behaved slept well eaten well talks well has always beeb ok just the last couple of weeks has been really hard have I done something wrong? I have rrtried ignoring hin he just screams all day I have tried comforting him he just screams all day I cant say I have given him what he wants because its not always possible and I dont always have what he wants, I dont like seeing him so upset all the time especially as I dont understand why and nothing seems to make it better. Im home with my son all the time we go to groups he has lots of friends we do lots of activities, my parrner is at work all week but does do alot with him on the weekend and tries to give him some daddy son time x any suggestions would help? Please x
#2 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 09:31 AM

Have you checked to make sure it is not physical? Ear infection?

#3 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Hiya thank you for asking but yes I took him to the doctor on the second day as is all so out of character for him but he has asthma anyway so was just told to give him a extra puff on his inhaler at night as he had a cold and doctor said could just be down to disturbed sleep but the cold has gone and he seemed to be sleeping fine x he is sat on the floor now screaming I want my mummy and im sat right next to him but hes getting so upset but rhis could go on till bedtime.
#4 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 05:11 PM

Does he have his 2 year molars yet? Could it be teething? How abrupt and big a change it is sounds like there's a reason that's very real to him rather than a difficult phase. Any changes in his routines hat could be upsetting like not seeing a grandparent for a long time or something? How much sleep does he get?
It sounds like he's talking well, have you tried to ask him if something hurts? My 2 year old is going through intense tantrums but when they're over, she's fine. It helps if I sit on the floor nearby and say "mommy is here to give you hugs when you're ready" and she usually comes over and settles after a while. It worries me that your DS doesn't seem to be content for stretches of time. I'm sorry about the questions but I'm trying to get a better picture. hug.gif
#5 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hi thats ok about asking all the questions x he has all his teeth now so not his teeth x nothing has changed but I am going to start trying to put him for a nap again because he has about 8 to 10 hours at night and hasnt slept in the day since he was about 1 but maybe now he has changed and started doing alot more he could use that sleep during the day x im also going to try a bit of seperation for me and him just so he knows im here but he plays alone for a while because I went out today without him and he was upset but he hasnt been since I came home he just wants to play so im going to take myself away from him some times to clean and cook and let him play alone where as now he helps alot or is with me. I also am going to try showing him about having fun with his friends and not neesing me to play being away for a few hours today has made me see he doesnt actually do alot without me by his side and I dont know if that would make him cry but im sure it isnt helping we can still do plenty together but he can also be with other people and do things he doesnt need me for. Also going to try making sure he has a tighter routine he has his routine now but just going to make sure its kept together. Thank you for replying and trying to help its really nice of you x
#6 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 AM

Hmm. Maybe he is going through a big developmental leap and is having a difficult time for a while. My DD had a solid 2 week window just now where nap and bedtimes were terrible with screaming, tantrumming, etc even though the routine hasn't changed and there were no obvious physical reasons. She started to wake less at night but to get her to fall asleep was impossible despite my nursing her or snuggling or anything. Eventually she passed out with exhaustion. Then out of the blue she began nursing down peacefully again.
The days where he gets only 8 hours of sleep don't seem like enough. I think it's a good idea to try to reestablish a nap. If that doesn't work then a car or stroller ride where he has to be still for an extended time may help him recharge - we do this on rare days when DD doesn't nap. Failing that I'd try quiet time: where the two of you snuggle up on the bed/couch/rocking chair and read or sing quietly. The downtime should help reenergize him a bit.
#7 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

I will try quiet time if he doesnt nap thank you x
#8 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Growth spurt (including development such as talking)? When my son goes through growth spurts he is like velcro to me smile.gif, plus he eats alot and sleeps alot and is very irritable.. Lasts a few days but not more than a week. Then I notice either he has made leaps and bounds in speaking, or some other skill. Other times I note that his feet are bigger or his pants shorter.

Does any of this seem like it could be the case for your little one?

Apart from that, as mentioned by PP.....the possibility of ear ache from the cold that he had.

Also as you said, sleep. He may need more. Some kids may get by on what he does but many seem to need more.

#9 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Im not sure I mean he is developing quickly now he is very clever I think at his age they do pick up alot very quickly and he hasnt grown or anything nothing has changed there x I might get him in to see the doctor just to be sure its nothing physical obviously I dont want him to be in pain and just be missing it. Today has been a pretty good day but not altogether ok so definately think I will still have him checked out and tey the things people have said. Thank you for replying and trying to help I do appreciate it x
#10 of 10 Old 04-11-2013, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You are welcome. Good luck and I hope all is well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page