16 month old with red patch on cheek- food allergy? teething reaction? Picture posted. Please help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-09-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good evening!

I am worried about a mysterious patch on my sweet daughter's cheek. It has been there for 2 days. I am hoping someone will have seen or experienced this before. I have been debating taking her to the urgent care clinic near our home but I prefer natural and homeopathic remedies first. I appreciate any advice and support you may be able to give me.

My daughter is 16 months old, unvaxxed except for 2 month old shots (we decided to not vax again after), still breastfeeding throughout day and night, and vegan (unless I eat dairy). She is very healthy, bright, and active. She eats a broad variety of fruits, veggies, and grains. Two nights ago she ate a plum, which she hadn't had in a couple of months. I noticed a tiny amount of pink near her mouth before bed but didn't think much of it. Yesterday morning she woke up with a dark pinkish red splotch near her mouth. It has stayed the same color and size for two days now. It is flat, blanches when I touch it, and is smooth like the rest of her skin. It doesn't seem to bother her but she has also not been herself for a few days. Grumpy and quick to scream in frustration or anger, and more tired than usual.

I am worried this patch is related to a food allergy or sensitivity or maybe even teething. I peeked in her mouth and noticed she may have a few new teeth ready to cut. I am worried about her but don't want to rush to the doctor. That said, I also don't want to not do anything and it turn out to be serious. Hubby says not to worry because she is acting pretty normal but I am a first-time mom so I am always worried (not that it changes with more children but I wouldn't know yet). I am posting a picture of her today during her nap. You can see the patch near her mouth but in the pic it is much lighter than it is in person. It is a dark pinkish red color and stays that way. Please let me know if you have had a similar experience or any advice. I appreciate from the bottom of my heart your help.

#2 of 5 Old 04-09-2013, 11:30 PM

Hi tulip!  You said she could be teething. Is she putting her hand in her mouth a lot? My ds did that when teething and he got a 'chapped' area on one cheek like that. Can you put some oil on it to protect it and heal and give it a few days? I'd use coconut oil or even olive oil. Or even just whatever diapering cream you use. Something to give the skin a 'barrier' to the wetness.  It might also be from 'drool' if she's teething and sleeping with her mouth turned that way. 

Of course it could be food allergy or something else, but I'd try putting something on it for a few days and see if it helps. Especially if it's just the one spot and she's mostly acting okay :) 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#3 of 5 Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, Momsteader! I will give coconut oil a try. I have never used olive oil on her face, just her bum so I am a little nervous. She tends to break out in little bumps with any new stuff on her face but if the coconut oil doesn't seem to help I will give the olive oil a try. I appreciate your advice. Today the spot seems to feel a little dried out but it is still just as red and the same size. She does seem to be putting her hands a lot in her mouth and doing a weird thing with her tongue on her teeth. The signs seem to be pointing more to teething than a food reaction. Thanks again for your help! Have a wonderful day!

#4 of 5 Old 04-10-2013, 09:52 AM

Could be eczema from the plum or something else she ate. My ds1 has a couple little patches around his mouth that occasionally flare up but calm with coconut oil or diet changes. Also, make sure you use the unrefined coconut oil since it is better for skin.

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#5 of 5 Old 04-10-2013, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I'd say teethng, but if you rule that out my DD 17mos had a reaction like that the first time she had oatmeal (6 or 7mos)- but around her lips.  I didn't give her any for a while after but the 2nd time she ate it (10mos), it started wth the lips, then spread across her body - hives all over, puffy eyes, I used rescue remedy to get her back to normal and after about 5 doses 15min apart the swelling subsided and she was rash free in under 24hrs.  We stopped vaxing at 4mos due to reactions and she unfortunately has a residual "rash" on her cheeks from that but it's never been affected by teething.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page