question first time mommy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-13-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello I have a question. My son is almost 15 months old. How many words should he be saying?? I have heard him say Dada mama hi yea dog..developmentally where should he be thanks:)
#2 of 8 Old 04-13-2013, 04:06 PM

PBS has a really good site for questions like this.  Note that the average is just the middle of an extremely wide range of normal.  Also note how quickly the numbers start increasing eventually.  I wouldn't worry.  (If you are worried, talk to your ped or call Early Intervention to have him assessed.)  

Expressive/Productive Vocabulary (words used when speaking)

• At 12 months, the average child says up to three words and may also communicate by grunting, nodding, pointing, etc. At 15 months, the average child says 14 words. At 16 months, the average child says 40 words. At 18 months, the average child says 68 words. At 23 months, the average child says about 200 words.

from http://www.pbs.org/parents/child-development/

#3 of 8 Old 04-16-2013, 07:34 AM

I personally think that that PBS info could freak some parents out! In my view, reporting the Average is ridiculous and poorly judged in this respect. Reporting the very wide average Range would be much more appropriate. I know the PP had also highlighted this.

My son is 16 months and I've no concerns at all about his language development. He's saying no where near 40 words. He has lots of his own words and sounds for things and is steadily expanding his vocab... Even if a lot of his new words for things sound the same. It's very cute. I'm like his personal interpreter these days. :-D
#4 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 PM

If your child seems to want to communicate with language, he's fine. If he shows no interest, or doesn't babble, there may be some reason for concern. And that PBS thing seems way off to me. I know loads of toddlers, and none of them have that many words!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#5 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 07:22 PM

Long long ago in my undergrad as a human development major, I learned in my my infancy & early childhood class that a good rule of thumb is that 1 year olds should speak 1 word "sentences" (mama, dog, milk -whatever as they gain words) and by age 2, they should be doing 2 word "sentences" (up, mama. More juice. Stuff like that). I don't really remember if I ever knew how many different words are typical or expected. Seems to me my daughter's pediatrician wanted her to know/use 6-8 words around the 12-15 month mark? I agree with other posters though, if you are concerned, check in with his doctor at the next well-visit, but if he's working to communicate with gestures as well as words and babbling, etc. he's probably right on track. And they do all of a sudden start picking up words left & right, an explosion of development that's amazing to see.
#6 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

If I was to go by any of those "guidelines" I might just sign my DD up for college and assume she's a genius - I know she's not.  Sure she can speak more words and sentences than the "average" 2yo at only 17mos, but she's not as advanced on some of her fine motor skills and is frustrated by physical things - to me that's a common girl vs boy development.  They all catch up to one another eventually, just at their own pace.  I'm sure he's doing just fine, probably advanced in other areas and that means he's just putting language second in the grand scheme of things.

#7 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny84jenny02 View Post

Hello I have a question. My son is almost 15 months old. How many words should he be saying?? I have heard him say Dada mama hi yea dog..developmentally where should he be thanks:)

The ranges quoted for normal sound about right to me.

Your son's vocabulary sounds really social. My son's first word was hi, and wow, that is a useful word for a baby to have. It gets smiles and sunshine from everybody. It reliably charms the stoniest of passers-by. A kid could stay entertaimed by it for months.

So he may be adding words slowly, but he has a really good starter set, and may not be feeling the need to develop an expansion pack yet. You can self refer for an evaluation from early intervention services if you're concerned - and if you are concerned, I would absolutely encourage you to make that call. Our DD was in EI for speech therapy for nearly a year, and they were great. I don't know whether they helped her past that delay or she just outgrew it, but fundamentally I don't think it matters. I was glad to have help on tap, and for her, it was fun games.
#8 of 8 Old 04-22-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

If I was to go by any of those "guidelines" I might just sign my DD up for college and assume she's a genius - I know she's not.  Sure she can speak more words and sentences than the "average" 2yo at only 17mos, but she's not as advanced on some of her fine motor skills and is frustrated by physical things - to me that's a common girl vs boy development.  They all catch up to one another eventually, just at their own pace.  I'm sure he's doing just fine, probably advanced in other areas and that means he's just putting language second in the grand scheme of things.

Exactly. Was he an early walker?  My DD didn't walk until 13 months and we started getting a little antsy for it, but it was plainly obvious that she was working on language, as her favorite past time was (and still is) pointing at objects and saying "uh?" to get you to tell her what it is. I would imagine that your little dude is probably quite nimble physically and is just not overly concerned with language yet. I've heard it said many children tend to focus on one thing at a time.  And what you describe sounds right on track!

As a side, those PBS "averages" sound pretty advanced to me! You can get an idea from their averages though, that once language starts it really picks up pretty rapidly (going from 14 words to 40 in one month?? wow!).

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page