2-3 hour naps? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Help. My DD is 3 yrs old in June and she is sleeping 2 to 3 hour naps. Is this normal? Typically, how long should a nap be?

DD goes to bed and doesn't fall asleep 'til about 10P sometimes 11P... and doesn't wake 'til about 7:00/7:30A. I've tried to cut her nap short down to 30 minutes... but she can 'break down' sooner and just cry in the afternoon... so, it seems she needs her sleep but maybe she needs that to start a new routine.

We just had another baby so sometimes their naps are at the same time which is kinda nice... but, I'm thinking I would rather her fall asleep by 8p/9p at night and have a normal nap time. Plus, our afternoons are lunch, nap, dinner... and not much room for much else.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
#2 of 19 Old 04-13-2013, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

hi germin8

i think it's all normal but i can see why you'd want her to go to bed sooner. my sone naps for 1-1/2 hours. he also is in bed by 9 and wakes between 5:30 and 6:30. humm...is there anyway you could get her to nap earlier? that way she could sleep for 3 hours but still want tot night sleep by 8?smile.gif

#3 of 19 Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 AM

My DD is 2 and naps for 1.5-2 hrs. I wish she would nap longer! LOL

I would try to move her nap earlier in the day if you can, and maybe try shifting bedtime up as well by 15 minutes at a time till you get to one that works better for you? We start the bedtime routine at 9pm and DD is normally asleep by 10pm, nap is from around 2-3pm until 4-5pm.

But if you think about it, she is sleeping for 8-9 hours at night, that is not much for her age so it makes sense that she is having a longer nap to compensate. I really liked Elizabeth Pantley's "no cry sleep solution" book for expected nap/sleep time lengths depending on age. It has a handy little table that you can refer to to see if you're in the "normal" range. I found it online, in case it may be helpful to you:

http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/advice/0071381392.php?nid=424

#4 of 19 Old 04-14-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. If I move her nap time earlier, DD will take a while to fall asleep... sometimes 1 to 2 hrs before she naps...so that has failed.

I'm thinking I could wake her up earlier to see if an earlier nap & bed time would result. The problem is, I need to get to sleep earlier... which is a challenge too.

Thanks for the chart... love it!

#5 of 19 Old 04-14-2013, 06:43 PM

I don't think you say what time nap time is...

I have a going on 3 year old and he goes down for a nap anytime between noon and 2pm. He can nap anywhere between 1 hour and 3 hours.

Bedtime is 8pm. Sometimes he lays in bed for an hour before falling asleep, sometimes he falls asleep right away.

I have a baby too and out of necessity I started implementing these strict sleep times. DS just seemed to understand that sleep times were no longer negotiable since I now had to take care of DD too. At first there were times he would cry a little bit so I would just sit on his bed holding DD and tell him why it was bedtime, why I couldn't lay down with him, what we would do when he woke up, etc. And he was OK with it and nap time and bedtime is pretty uneventful now.

And I never thought that would be the case because i used to have to nurse DS down to sleep and down for naps and his dad had to lay down with him and there was no schedule really, we just kind of would go with his flow.

So maybe try to just implement sleep times the way you want them to be and talk her through it. It didn't take too long for DS to adjust.

He wakes around 7:30am most mornings so he's getting about 11 hours of sleep at night.
#6 of 19 Old 04-14-2013, 06:45 PM

When this happened with our kiddos (took more than 45 min to fall asleep for nap, needed 7+ hours between morning wake and nap, and 7+ hours between nap wakeup and bedtime), we just ditched naps - and they were each just barely 2 when it happened here - but it was a matter of net hours of sleep not being enough when they napped.  It was hairy for a few weeks with the transition, but instead of netting between 9-10 hours (NOT enough at that age!  They'd sleep like 10:30pm-6:30am, then nap from like 1:30-3:30 -  they just couldn't fall asleep to nap before 1:30, they weren't tired enough no matter what we tried - and no matter when they went to sleep, they were awake by 6:30am) - with no nap, they started getting between 11-12 hours (7pm-6or 6:30am), which was a vast improvement.  We just moved everything up earlier, and for a brief timespan for each kid DH missed out on family dinner because I had them fed by 5:30 so they weren't going to bed right after dinner. 

I tried the "wake up after only an hour's nap", but that was more miserable than dealing with the crazies from 4-7pm, at least for me.  

Good luck!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#7 of 19 Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My son is 3.5 y.o. and his nap averages 3 hours. He sleeps about 10 hours at night.

Although he gets into different patterns I can usually count on him getting about 13 hours sleep within a 24 hour period.
germin8 likes this.
#8 of 19 Old 04-15-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, so 3 hour naps are not unheard of. :(

Yeah, we tried ditching naps... but only a couple times. Maybe I should stick with it if I want to go that route.

Thanks for the replies.

#9 of 19 Old 04-18-2013, 09:50 AM

My DS sometimes naps for 3 hours, but only if he really needs it.  Usually he naps for 1-2 hours at around 2pm and his bed time is 8pm.  If he has a very long nap and is obviously not tired at 8 we sometimes let him stay up later but keep activities quiet (such as reading stories).

My niece is the same age (she just turned 3 in March) and she was napping for 3 hours (or more!!) like your DC and then staying up really, really late.  My SIL tried cutting her naps shorter by waking her up, but this made my niece absolutely miserable.  She was cranky and tired until bedtime!  So they got rid of her nap, and she now goes to bed earlier and sleeps 12-13 hours per night.  She is still sometimes grumpy in the later afternoon/early evening if it's been a busy day but otherwise this worked for them!

Good luck!

germin8 likes this.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#10 of 19 Old 04-23-2013, 01:21 PM

I am a tiny bit jealous of your dd still napping so much : ) My son dropped his nap fairly early at 28 months this past January and I was so sad to see it go.  It just happened to be on the day I found out I was preg with #2!  BUT he sleeps through the night much more often (he used to 1-2x/week and now does 4-5 probably) and usually sleeps for at least 12 hours. I remember it was a big adjustment for him to go from 2 naps to 1 so this was similar.  Within a month, things had evened out and he was sleeping in until at least 8am which is nice, too.  He also falls asleep much quicker at night and we were able to move his bedtime up a half hour.  One of my friends moves her son's bedtime up to 6:30 when he doesn't nap!  We have established a quiet time so we get a short break for a half an hour where he plays in his room independently. Now that we have been outside more with the nicer weather, I do not always insist on the quiet time but it is nice to keep as part of our routine.  Actually in the last few weeks he has napped a few times during his quiet time.  Just lays down on his bed and falls asleep.  He does not usually fall to pieces during the late afternoon/evening so I guess we are lucky with this.  He does tend to be more tearful but it isn't a terrible break down every night or anything.  Best of luck!  

#11 of 19 Old 04-23-2013, 01:36 PM

Maybe this is a little off topic, but I have memories of being in preschool at like 4 y/o and they would have us take a nap. I remember it clearly because we had these nifty cot things to sleep in.  So what I'm confused about is, did they just force us to nap even though we didn't need naps? I ask because I am terrified of losing that 1 nap DD takes! So those with 2 year olds that don't nap, how on earth do you make it through the day??

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#12 of 19 Old 04-23-2013, 02:45 PM

My daughter hasn't been napping regularly since 21 months. She will be two in a couple months. She's the same way as others .. Needs a certain amount of sleep but mostly at night. 12-14 hours. If she takes a nap to catch up on sleep she will stay up until 11:30. Too late for this mama. She goes to bed between 7-8 and sleeps until between 8 and 10 am depending how behind she is on sleep. Power naps are good but more than that keeps her up late!! I'd be dropping the nap of it were me!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#13 of 19 Old 04-23-2013, 02:46 PM

My son was the same way! Stopped napping young

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#14 of 19 Old 04-23-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

So those with 2 year olds that don't nap, how on earth do you make it through the day??

Grit your teeth and remember it will be over by 7pm!  lol.gif

No, but seriously, I didn't mind it really after the first week or so getting used to it.  We didn't have to be HOME FOR NAPTIME in the afternoon so could do more things, and I had the WHOLE EVENING QUIET.  It was actually quite nice. 

One thing I *should* have done, and advise other moms of early nap stoppers, is to continue to keep "quiet time" and have them relax on their own with a quiet activity for an hour, just to carve that break out for you during the early mid day.  Just an hour, they can "read" books or color or play quetly with toys, in their rooms or wherever it is they would be napping, and you go be wherever you would be if they were napping.  I didn't do that, and really regretted it when I had two VERY ENERGETIC non napping children under 5.  yikes2.gif

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#15 of 19 Old 04-23-2013, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post

So those with 2 year olds that don't nap, how on earth do you make it through the day??

TV redface.gif.  Reading followed by 2 shows while I make lunch and try to regain some sanity.  And she's asleep for the night at 6:45. 

#16 of 19 Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

At 2-3 we limit the naps to one hour even thought they were pretty much always cranky when waking up. A very late bedtime means the nap is just too long to me.

#17 of 19 Old 05-04-2013, 11:47 PM

My DS (32m) typically takes a 2 - 2.5 hr nap, he goes to bed and wakes up late (11pm - 9am). I have tried cutting nap-time to an hour, but like others said he is in a mood when we do that. I would love for him to go to bed early and no nap would probably help, however he has older siblings who are not quiet in the evenings and would keep him up.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#18 of 19 Old 05-05-2013, 03:19 AM

My son (3.5 years) had been taking 2 hour naps (12-2pm) too. We were really struggling with that. He would wake up at around 6am and go down at 9/10pm. So, my plan was pushing it back slowly. However, that didn't work either. His night sleep was affected by it. He didn't sleep as well, went to bed late because he was overtired...

Currently, he sleeps an hour (I wake him after 60min) in the morning hours (~10am) and goes to bed between 7 and 8pm, wakes up at 6ish.

I would love for him to tack on nap time to his night sleep, but for some reason he is all energized and bubbly when he wakes up at around 6 that I don't see how to encourage him to fall back asleep. He must be tired though since he can easily fall asleep at 10am again!!! Anybody else having this issue? Any advice?

He is a very active little guy that had trouble in the past to fall a sleep and stay asleep. We've come a long way. I just wish we could skip those naps and have an earlier night time and a little later wake up time.

#19 of 19 Old 05-05-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germin8 View Post

Thanks for the replies. If I move her nap time earlier, DD will take a while to fall asleep... sometimes 1 to 2 hrs before she naps...so that has failed.

I'm thinking I could wake her up earlier to see if an earlier nap & bed time would result. The problem is, I need to get to sleep earlier... which is a challenge too.

Thanks for the chart... love it!

In my experience, this never worked. A human's sleeping is directly correlated with light and darkness. Sometimes my son takes early naps(around 1-2 pm), but sometimes he sticks it out for longer in the day and falls asleep around 5-6 pm. I let it be. And he naps for 3-4 hours. I found out the absolute WORST thing you can do is try to control or tweak a child's sleep. It made him miserable, and he didn't go to bed earlier. In fact, he started sleeping later when he went to sleep for the night, to make up for the time that got robbed from him during his nap. So instead of waking up at 9 am or so, he was waking up at 1-2 pm. We turn the lights down at 9 pm. So even if my son takes a late nap, and wakes up at 10 pm or so, because the lights are down, he'll only stay up for an hour or two, go right back to sleep and sleep the night. Whereas if he takes an earlier nap, he'll play through until about the same time at night before wanting to go to bed.

So yeah.. my advice is to follow the light and dark cycles of outside.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page