The Montessori Toddlers Thread! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 05-15-2013, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh wow, what a great thread! I think I'll check out the books mentioned. I *think* we're doing something like Montessori, except I know DS is getting more screen time than Montessori advises. That's been bothering me, but I need some input on how to shift focus away from the iPad :P

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#32 of 37 Old 05-15-2013, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clarebear3, don't discourage. Do you recommend this Trapp chair? Children all have their own pace and the fact that you are looking into this must mean that you are doing an attentive job. I have no advice as mine is really a trial and errorS type of situation... one day at a time... and I really try not to compare his progress. He is smiling and healthy so I am pleased.
#33 of 37 Old 05-16-2013, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Michael View Post

Clarebear3, don't discourage. Do you recommend this Trapp chair? Children all have their own pace and the fact that you are looking into this must mean that you are doing an attentive job.

Thanks that helps, I am the only mama her who EC's, CD's co sleeps etc and if I mention any of this to my lovely 'regular' friends their going to think I'm going off on a craze or something innocent.gif  I think the Trapp is really great, it's very easy to wipe down, not too many bits for food to get stuck, it looks great, the only thing is the positioning of the legs might not be optimal for some tables.  I wanted DD to sit at the head of the table with me and DH on either side but our table legs just aren't configured right.  I have also seen people use them as steps in the kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

Maybe she just isn't ready to be "proper" LOL I wouldn't stress it.

Yeah I think your right, she is just so into things at the moment she can barely sit still.  I have noticed that she loves a routine though so I am going to keep slowly trying.  I let her drink out of the shot glass during the meal and then after-wards she can quench her thirst properly with her sippy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

My 18mo is a beast with tableware, so we avoided glasses for a long time, and even now when she's playing I give her a plastic, non-leak sippy cup to avoid the mess.  But, she can use a regular glass if we watch her and put only a little bit in (otherwise she tends to spill since she sort of bites at the liquid in a cup) and I've let her use a shot glass alone before since we have some *acquired* bar shot glasses that are super duper thick so no way she can break it even if she chucks it! 

This is what my little girl does, she keeps her chin down on her chest and bites and slurps the glass.  I have these little shot glasses from Ikea... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90091996/  perhaps they are too small but they are super cute!  aah the websites just look so idealistic and calm, I have to clear a 50cm radius when DD is at the table, any kind of tablemat or table wear is going to go flying.  I was under the impression that young children need to be able to get 'dirty' with their food and not pay attention to table manners until much later so as to avoid being fussy eaters...I'm really not sure what's best.  My own mother was very strict, no elbows on the table and so forth and I was uber fussy.

I was also wondering why it would be better for LO's to be eating at their own table for some meals instead of at the family table?

Momma Michael-that little boy is adorable!  Love the chair too.

It's great to see some pictures.  I am busy selling some things second hand and then I am going to make over DD's toys, shelves etc and then I will post some.  She probably has the smallest room you ever saw and at the moment the furniture is white and the walls are pink, that's it, I haven't been able to find anything to put on the walls that I like, it's sooo boring!

1pump.giffamilybed1.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gifdiaper.gif

#34 of 37 Old 05-16-2013, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Here's my confessional.
I love the idea of Montessori. DS is approximately 2 yrs, 9 months and goes to Montessori school (I WOH). I absolutely suck at implementing at home though. He does get & put away his "stepstool", which is honestly a 2 step folding ladder that he could easily pinch his fingers in. He's very adept at it thankfully. He gets & pours his own milk with little help from us, but I more often than not don't let him help make his PB&J sandwich. I dress him far more often than I should (mornings are rushed). I'm trying to think of what I do that is M and really all I'm coming up with is school greensad.gif I think I need to re-read the blogs I have bookmarked and start again.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#35 of 37 Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee View Post

Here's my confessional.
I love the idea of Montessori. DS is approximately 2 yrs, 9 months and goes to Montessori school (I WOH). I absolutely suck at implementing at home though. He does get & put away his "stepstool", which is honestly a 2 step folding ladder that he could easily pinch his fingers in. He's very adept at it thankfully. He gets & pours his own milk with little help from us, but I more often than not don't let him help make his PB&J sandwich. I dress him far more often than I should (mornings are rushed). I'm trying to think of what I do that is M and really all I'm coming up with is school greensad.gif I think I need to re-read the blogs I have bookmarked and start again.

No,no no....you do the best you can! It's good you are thinking..that is the first step right? And it is great that he is getting to dress himself sometimes. I am not so good at this one but I am allowing him to pick out his clothes.

#36 of 37 Old 05-17-2013, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairebear3 View Post

I was also wondering why it would be better for LO's to be eating at their own table for some meals instead of at the family table?

I would guess it has to do with the size being more proportionate just like everything else in montessori.  We have a tiny house so it's not prectical to have a second table just for DD so my compromise was a kekaroo high chair which I've since taken the tray and booster cushion off and DD climbs up onto it herself and the seat is high enough for us to push her right up to the table.  As she grows taller it will adjust with her until she can sit in the regular chairs.  I do let her have "picnics" for breakfast some mornings if she's just eating fruit or dry cereal and I set her up on a blanket in the living room along with good ol' mickey mouse clubhouse!  It gives me time to get ready for work and it's one of about 3 shows she's allowed to watch. 

I too have given her more screen time than I originally planned BUT I limit it to disney jr (I loathe nick jr lol) and I watch her to be sure she's not becoming obsessed otherwise I'd turn it off immediately.  I was a cartoon-a-holic of the 80's and I still spent more than my fair share of time outside so I'm not as worried about the tv as I used to be.

As for dressing herself, if I can figure out how to upload a recent picture of the outfit she picked out, omg, punky brewster in the making LOL!

#37 of 37 Old 05-17-2013, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee View Post

Here's my confessional.

I love the idea of Montessori. DS is approximately 2 yrs, 9 months and goes to Montessori school (I WOH). I absolutely suck at implementing at home though. He does get
No,no no....you do the best you can! It's good you are thinking..that is the first step right? And it is great that he is getting to dress himself sometimes. I am not so good at this one but I am allowing him to pick out his clothes.

Thanks mama smile.gif I talked to the Directress at his school yesterday. She recommended the shelves/baskets/toys setup. Which I knew about but never implemented. So I did that last night and emphasized how this is like at school - you put one away before taking out another. We're going to get him a rug for his workspace. And a small pitcher for his milk and water that he can reach for his own pouring. He was really excited about the toy setup, though that might have also been because I put out something totally new!

He gets to pick out his clothes on weekends, but during the week he has to wear a uniform. I always thought that was strange that Montessori schools would have a uniform greensad.gif

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page