helping toddler help himself (maybe a montessori question) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, mamas

I'm looking for resources that will help me with ideas for setting up our home in the most conducive way to help my 18 month old help himself.  I'm not too familiar with the montessori philosophy, but I've seen snippets of things here and there that lead me to believe this is a philosophy similar to what i'm seeking. 

I'm just realizing that sometimes our home is not that well set-up for our son and I want it to be a safe, fun, nurturing and learning environment for him.  I have some basic ideas on how to create this better and am implementing them but would love more.  We're about to transition him into his own room and i'm excited about making his space totally accessible to him with bed/furniture/ bookcases/toys all at his level.  I"m also thinking about how to set up a corner of the kitchen, as well as in the bathroom, that is just for him.  Any ideas?  

How do you set up your living space to make it most functional (for both the adults and the little ones?)

If I want to read more about montessori, anyone recommend a specific blog or book?  I'm less interested in the schooling aspect and more interested in implementing it at home

thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 04-18-2013, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Also fairly new to the Montessori in the home, but we have made some changes to where things are.  We have a tiny ranch so it's not feasable to set up "stations" for DD (17mos)around the house so we accomodate where we can. 

In the kitchen, I moved a few things around to free up a bottom drawer that I set up wtih a utensil divider I had sitting in a closet and the drawer now contains DD's utensils, a cup (sippy - while she can drink from a regular glasss I'm not ready to chase her down once she's bored and wings water across the room or all over the dogs!), a few cookie cutters she's been collecting from my stash, measuring spoons/cups, and some rags for helping clean up messes.  She can't open the fridge yet (and honestly, thank god!) but once she can I will designate a door shelf for her.  I taught her as soon as she could walk how to operate the trash can and she gladly throws things away.  Next step will be some sort of learning tower or at the very least a stable step stool so she can help with more food prep - currently we use a chair pushed to the counter and just watch her closely.

In the bathroom I have baskets on the wall with her bath toys and books for potty time, and will probably be adding a hook down low for her to hang her towel.  We need a stool for teeth brushing/hand washing, but she's obsessive over water so I'm holing off a bit longer on that and for now she asks to stand on the toilet seat and can reach the sink from there.

Bedroom, she can reach just about everything she needs, and I leave toys I don't want her to have or that are "out of rotation" up out of reach.  I do plan to rearrange a few drawers to give her better clothing access, but for now she just likes to pull everything out :-P  I do have a little art area for her in the spare bedroom and I every room in the hosue has books for her, including our bedroom.

Hopefully more people will chime in!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page