half day or whole day kindergarten/preschool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-20-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering what are your thoughts on this?  My 2 year old will start at the kindergarten when he turns 3 and I am trying to decide whether he would benefit more from coming home at lunch time, or staying till early afternoon. (so 4 hours vs 7 hours)

I really don't want to give him up full days yet.. but worried I will be holding him back if I don't send him full days.  I am a childminder and take care of kids under 3 at home... when he turns 3 he will start at the kindergarten where he will be with kids age 3-6 and most of them stay the whole day. 

I should mention that there is a lot of free play at the kindergarten as well as activities which are supposed to develop them.  But not sitting at desks.  So I am not worried about him spending too much time studying.. just wondering where he ought to have lunch and play in the afternoon--at home with mommy and the 2-3 toddlers I take care of, where he has spent the first 3 years of life, or with his friends. I would love to hear what you would decide.

#2 of 7 Old 04-20-2013, 02:54 PM

I thought kindergarten didn't start until 5 or 6?

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#3 of 7 Old 04-20-2013, 03:00 PM

I'd go part time. He's so very young yet and it would be a nice intro to being away from you without going full tilt. There is plenty of time for him to do FT kindie. Just what I'd do smile.gif
#4 of 7 Old 04-20-2013, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would do part time as well. Three is so young to be away from home so long.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#5 of 7 Old 04-21-2013, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

At least start part-time and if he seems to really love it then switch to longer days.

Entering preschool is a major transition for a small child and going from none at all to all day is too much for lots of kids. So again, at the very least start with half-days and then see where you're at.

Good luck!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#6 of 7 Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Sounds like a montessori program which groups kids in age ranges, not grades, and they do start at 3.  I'm looking at one here for DD (she's 17mos now) and I think we'd have the option of half or full day until she's like 5 or 6.  I'd def start with half and go from there, really depends on your kiddo.

#7 of 7 Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 PM

Going straight to full day (3 days a week, 9-3, which is a bit shorter than some full day programs) worked really well for our 18 month old. We eased him in with partial days over the course of a week of two. He is very social and had a blast. I think two things that helped the transition were that he was with older kids (up to 3.5) and that he knew one of them already (so he had a built-in friend).

First child born March 2011.  Constantly in awe!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page