I'm a little confussed about shoes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my nearly 15 month old DD wore Robeez as a crawler, and has been wearing a soft sole shoe from Target since she started walking 2 months ago: http://www.target.com/p/ministar-designs-by-bobux-infant-girls-explorers-mary-jane-brown/-/A-12408339#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=Dora+Explorer+Dora%26%2339%3Bs 

I did buy a couple of hard soled shoes from Target but immediately returned them when she couldn't or wouldn't walk in them.  I've been too paranoid to try another shoe since. She won't walk in a pair of Crocs someone gifted her. What do you all do for shoes with a young toddler? Do you still use slipper type shoes like Robeez for walking outside (I love this style of shoe!)?  The shoe she has now is sooo very thin soled, is this the best for foot development? Why am I still wanting her in slipper type shoes?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#2 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 03:29 PM

Follow your instincts... and you might want to look into Barefoot walking. Hard-soled shoes actually screw up your feet. Kids know this. My son is 2 years old, and we don't even have shoes for him yet; he walks outside barefoot, and in his socks in stores. Best kind of shoes for foot development, and for foot health are flat, flexible, wide-boxed shoes with NO arches. Despite what some will have you believe, your foot doesn't need support. Ever. It's self-supporting. Look for "Minimalist" shoes.

#3 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 PM

My DS has wide feet so places that we can find shoes appears to (unfortunately) be pretty limited. I have been buying him sneakers at stride rite since he started walking at 12 months and aside from the price, I'm happy with them. He is now 21 months. Check out the "early walkers" collection.
#4 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't have a million links to back this up but I feel if we were supposed to walk around with thick, inflexible, "sturdy" stuff on our feet, we would've evolved with hooves. 

When my daughter was small, I kept her in See Kai Run, Robeez, and the flexible Pedipeds as long as possible.  She's seven and a half now and has a movement disorder.  She does a MILLION times better barefoot than in shoes.  She mostly wears Merrell barefoot shoes.  Toms and some Keens also work well.

IMO, for new walkers, I'd try to stay as close to barefoot as possible and avoid "sturdy" type shoes.

#5 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post

I don't have a million links to back this up but I feel if we were supposed to walk around with thick, inflexible, "sturdy" stuff on our feet, we would've evolved with hooves. 

This exactly! I remember before DD walked, my MIL kept telling me to put her in shoes so she would feel more secure.  dizzy.gif

When I look at shoes, even stride rite, I just haven't been feeling drawn to them like I have the robeez type shoe, and I was wondering if there is anything *wrong* with keeping her in a robeez type shoe for now.  I do need some kind of shoe echosoul as we live in a very urban environment, although she is barefoot all day at home.  I think I may get her a pair of see kai run "smaller".  I've seen it mentioned that these non-soled shoes are not good for when it rains, but really how often will I take her out walking in the rain?  Maybe when her gait is really sure I will start considering flexible soled shoes....

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#6 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 06:37 AM

Oh, no! I wasn't saying anything against that at all, I was just mentioning that that is what we do. As I said.. look for Minimalist shoes. Merrel considers themselves Minimalist, Tom's does, along with a few others. That was all I meant, :)

#7 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 AM

My DD is 2 and has been walking steadily since 13.5 months. I won't say I didn't have a pair of "real" shoes for her as a baby but honestly it was for a baptism to look nice and once the ceremony was over, off they came. For actual use on her feet, I loved Robeez too and did the soft, slipper shoes until she outgrew them (girl has my big honking' feet lol). Nowadays I still buy flexible shoes for her as much as possible although her wide, high feet make it more challenging to find suitable ones. I think as long as the robeez meet your needs for coverage/waterproofness then I'd just use them. They may not last long on urban sidewalks or be a good bet for cold or rainy climates but if you don't mind that then I don't see a problem

Tags
Toddlers , Robeez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page