How do you confine a toddler?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-09-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know if "confine" is the word I'm looking for, but within the last 2 weeks my 13 month old son has learned to climb... a lot... he moves furniture, climbs up railings, hops baby gates, climbs out of his pack and play, I can't keep him in one place. He's entirely uninterested in toys now, just wants to climb Every. Waking. Moment. I thought for a second some toy had his attention so I went to unload the dishwasher, I turned around to him just about to hang off the chandelier.

I've tried wearing him but there s only so much my back can take. 

Any toys? Devices? Straight Jackets??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 PM

Consider strapping him into his high-chair with a few small toys while you do a kitchen chore or try an exersaucer. Around that age, both worked for our daughter. My husband would put her in the exersaucer in kitchen while cleaning up from breakfast & making his lunch in the morning. It kept her contained & somewhat entertained. I often put her in the highchair (strapped in) and put weebles or nesting cups on the tray while I chopped veggies or swept, snacks like Cheerios & blueberries worked too but often got spilled on the floor creating extra mess/work.for me.
#3 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
What about a sanctioned climbing toy? Do you think he would stay busy on a small slide or something? There are those baby cage things that you can set up, too.
#4 of 10 Old 05-11-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

How do these baby cage things work? lol... that sounds like about the only thing that would work. I've toyed with the idea of using a dog crate lol

Unfortunately he easily pops out of any exersaucer or walker I've tried with him, and ever since I took him to the park and he figured out the fun of kinetic energy so if I leave him unattended he'll try to tip himself.

#5 of 10 Old 05-11-2013, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Once they can climb over gates, cribs, and pack n plays you should stop using them. Now is the time to baby proof rooms. Lock cabinets and put breakables away. I had friends that had to bungee cord the chairs to the table.

This stage passed very quickly for me.

We did buy an indoor climb/slide, trampoline, and ball pit

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 10 Old 05-11-2013, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Make sure anything that could tip over when he climbs it is secured to the wall or floor. Don't forget the stove, and make sure the TV can't be pulled over. make sure he can't climb near windows,or that the windows won't be open anywhere he could push a chair over to it and fall out. Other than that, this sounds so harsh but he will eventually topple off a chair or something and learn to be careful.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#7 of 10 Old 05-11-2013, 05:35 PM

This was when I had DH tether all our tall furniture to the wall.

joy.giflurk.gif

#8 of 10 Old 05-11-2013, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummoth View Post

Other than that, this sounds so harsh but he will eventually topple off a chair or something and learn to be careful.

This is how I feel.  DD is 18mos and once she was walking at 10/11 mos she took off running and climbing at the same time and I'm not all for fort knoxing my home, I just can't live like that and at some point kids have to learn how to do things the correct way.  So we went the route of teaching her how to climb up and down on things, what things were ok and what was off limits, and let her figure it out from there.  In the house she has pretty much free reign and if I don't feel like cleaning up I close a bedroom door to restrict access so she can only be in the kitchen/dinning rm/living rm.  Outside, if I want her in one spot - doggie ex-pen.  I have a tall one from my dogs (I'm a trainer, and foster) so I was not about to go out and buy a "child" pen - the dog pen works just fine, weighs less, and I can toss a sheet over it and make a tent on hot sunny days!

#9 of 10 Old 05-11-2013, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Oh yeah. My DD lost her two bottom teeth at 13 months trying to climb a baby gate that fell out of the doorway on top if her. Lesson learned: NO lattice patterned gates. Now that I think of it, those baby cage thingies might be latticed. If so, stay far away from them.
#10 of 10 Old 05-11-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

That's a good point about the lattice. I remember hearing that kids can get their heads stuck in them too.
The thing that really worries me is that our house is 4 storeys. The first 3 floors are open so if he goes crawling up the railings on the 3rd floor he could fall all the way down to the basement. I've already taken the window cranks off all the windows, not that he could work them anyway but one less hazard...
I've noticed if I keep a onesie on him he's less able to climb up things, his feet don't grip as much but then he trips all over the place.

Tags
Toddlers

User Tag List