Dinner Disaster.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here lately, ever time we take our daughter out to eat, it almost always is a crying screaming disaster. My almost 2 year old screams and cries the entier time. I try telling her to be quiet, I try giving her something to play with; coloring books, reg books. puzzle, watch tv on my phone. Nothing works. When she is ready to go, she lets everyone know. It is so embarassing. I don't even want to take her anymore. Advice????

#2 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 07:55 PM

I think that going to a restaurant can be too stimulating for many toddlers - lots of strange people, noise, interesting foods.  It seems fun for a while, but then the child breaks down.  Two of my children used to be like that, especially if we were going out to eat with friends or family.  Honestly, we just stopped going out to eat for a few years, or went a lot less, because it was too stressful and exhausting. 

#3 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

It is very stressful. But I don't feel like we should stop going just b/c she throws a fit.... Maybe that is me being selfish! help.gif

#4 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 08:14 PM

My DD goes through phases. When we're in a difficult one, we avoid the stuff that sets her off. When she's more calm then she tolerates the same things better. Honestly I feel like eating out with a screaming toddler is a waste of money so we get take out or better yet pack a picnic and go to the park. She will eat for a while then she can play while DH and I finish up. I think there's plenty of time to eat out as a family; it's not a high priority for me at 2 years old. In fact preferably she goes to visit grandma for a couple of hours while mommy and daddy have a lovely, calm meal and reconnect wink1.gif
#5 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 08:17 PM

I think in the last few weeks I've seen multiple threads about this exact subject, how funny how we're all going through this now!  I think the general consensus from the other threads is that, really, it ISN'T worth it! The only thing that works for my 15 month old is to realize in advance the longest time that she will be able to sit still, which for her is about 15 minutes under ideal circumstances  Then plan to walk her around the entire remaining time of the outting.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#6 of 9 Old 05-18-2013, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Yep, yep, yep. We don't go out for fun at the moment. We eat out for family obligation - usually birthdays. Sometimes it's better than others but I go with the expectation that I will be "on duty" not sitting enjoying a meal and a conversation. I have found that this is the best way for me not to feel resentful.

We have found that not sitting down until the food is on the table works best for us.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We stopped going out to eat for a while. It isn't their fault they're overstimulated, though I did miss going out too. We did take-out and it was really much more enjoyable during that phase than going out was.

IMO, you have to weigh three things:

1. Your desire to eat out and how enjoyable it is in these circumstances.

2. Your child's ability to handle it.

3. How it affects everyone else in the restaurant.

For me, when I weighed those three issues, it made me decide to do take-out instead of going out for a while.

And toddlers throw fits in situations where they're overstimulated and out of their ability to behave well. They can't really help it at that age.
#8 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We rarely take our almost 2 year old to any restaurant that isn't a fast one. Not McD's but we have several local restaurants that cook fresh food right on the spot, 5 minutes of waiting if that. Anything else usually ends up with one parent waiting outside with the toddler. If my kids can't sit still and be quiet in a restaurant (which is really a task for an older child to accomplish), then we don't belong there, it's common curtesy to me. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I think it's very normal to have a phase (or phases) where you just can't go out to eat with your toddler. Sometimes it only lasts a short while. Our son (almost 3) has always been relatively easy and well-behaved in restaurants. We go out quite often. However he's had some phases and we just didn't go out for a few weeks and then it was over. Not a big deal.

In one way, yes it is selfish of you because you are not considering that it must really annoy the other people trying to have a nice meal out. Even other parents might get annoyed if it is a huge screaming tantrum. One way to avoid that would be to go very early, like at 6:00. In a way, if someone is out that early they can only expect it to be "family time" and it's sort of their problem. KWIM? When we go out to eat it's usually early and if any scene were to erupt I'd feel less guilty about ruining other people's meal because hey, it's fracking 6pm and what do you expect?

But really, more than anything, it is ruining your meal. Why bother then? It's just a waste of money in that case. Save your nerves and do takeaway. Try again in a few weeks or a month or two, and it may have passed These things always pass.....

Good luck!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page