Need Advice on growth for extremely small toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter was born very small and light at 1.9 kg or 4.18 lbs and height 45 cm and she was not a premmie. She did not went into icu and her health was certified perfect by the PD. She is now twenty one months and still very small at 7.5 kg or 16.53 lbs and height only 75 cm or 2' 5" all the way below the lowest percentile, even smaller than the infants in the childcare she goes to. She eats alot non stop and loves rice and bread and most times ask for another helping of her meals, snacks on bread and biscuits in between meals. I do pour olive oil in her meals as well. She also drinks 640 ml of milk a day, recent months changed from enfa to pediasure. She is also extremely active. 

My hubby and I are both 155 cm or 5' 1", that could explain on her height but we are not on the thin side...even when we were infants. 

I'm really worried about her height and weight gain but her PD told me there is no miracle or any medication to  this. As long as she is healthy, things are good but everyone, teachers, parents, relatives and friends who see her are asking me why is she so small and this is really bothering me and I am really lost on what to do next to help her grow.

Anyone who has small toddlers like me and eventually your child caught up? or am i feeding her correctly?

#2 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 05:38 AM

Hi there, I'm not in the same position as you, but I hope you don't mind me responding. I just wanted to say that your daughter sounds healthy and active and has an appetite that many moms would envy. When it comes to height, nature/genetic really have the influence (unless in extreme deprivation which certainly isn't the case here) and your PD has ruled out any other hormonal/medical issue. However, I think it must be really annoying for you to constantly have to defend/explain your daughter's height and weight to others. My only suggestion is for you and your DS to have a light hearted response prepared that you can just chime back to the next person that remarks. It really must be frustrating for you though and make you doubt yourself when there seemimgly is no need.
estherlpl likes this.
#3 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 06:09 AM

My son was an extremely small toddler and preschooler, who had a huge appetite.  He was still wearing some 3T clothing when he was 6 years old.  It turned out that he had Celiac disease.  Once we cut gluten from his diet, he grew into age appropriate clothing in ONE summer. 

#4 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

celiac disease? l shall go and read more about this. but did the pd found out this disease. what test did he needed then? thanks!
#5 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

While that could be her normal, I would lean towards a food intolerance, or at the very least have her checked out just to make you feel better.  Bread isn't nutrient dense and many times will cause weight gain on a carb heavy diet.  Celiac is an allergy to gluten (it's what makes bread sponge-like).  There are also lesser sensitivities that can affect digestion.  My DH is gluten/wheat sensitive and by all means should avoid them as they have a diabetic effect on him (it's different for everyone).  For me, I have a very mild sensitivity to gluten which can trigger migraines if I go carb heavy.  For DD oats and dairy are an issue.  Dairy gives her horrendous stomache distress and acne and if not for the up-all-night-screaming, I might have kept eating dairy while nursing and never known it was an issue.  Bottom line, might be worth checking out for your own peace of mind.  Personally I prefer to use a natruopath for testing food issues bc unlike the blood tests used for food allergies, a naturopath can test without blood and pinpoint more than just allergies - they can tell you things that your child is sensitive to (but not allergic) and also make some pretty accurate predictions on future sensitivities that can pop up (good for babies who are just being introduced to new things).  Good luck!

#6 of 7 Old 06-01-2013, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
The reason celiac disease affects growth is that in sensitive people (lots and lots of us) gluten damages the intestinal lining, flattening villi and not allowing them to absorb nutrients. Grains in general also contain phytates which block mineral absorption (this is true for everyone). There are lots of foods that can damage the gut, but grains (esp glutinous ones) and pasteurized dairy are two big culprits. Breads are also fairly calorie dense, but not nutrient dense.

I might try removing grains and adding in lots of traditional nutrient dense foods - butter/ghee, bone broth, bone marrow, egg yolks, liver (pâté), seafood, fish roe. I very, very highly recommend a book called Nourishing Traditions Book of Mother and Child Care by Sally Fallon Morrel. It is very informative and has lots of great nutrient dense recipes.

As to your testing question, there is no reliable test available for celiac. The best way to test is by removing gluten for a period of time (at least 4 weeks) and seeing how they do.

Best of luck!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#7 of 7 Old 06-02-2013, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Well, I've had my DD tested by an ND and my DH was tested by an acupuncturist for food issues and they were pretty spot on, and the ND I use has done hundreds of comparative studies between her testing methods followed by blood tests which have been 100% identical results every time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page