Ideas for home based exercise/fun/movement/games? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

My 2 year 10 month old is a little....err...lazy. Meant in the nicest possible way I guess. wink1.gif

Or rather, she'd rather have us read her endless books. I love that she's into books, but reading 10+ to her daily is a bit out of control - she seems to need books pre-sleeps, but also post sleeps! i.e. when she awakes in the morning, and after her nap if she has one. And (if she got the chance) she'd watch videos all the time.

Seems very tricky to get her to participate in any dancing, running around.

She does go for a big walk/run most mornings (we live near a beach, which is great) - but the afternoons are lazy-town.

I can't get out and about with her (many reasons) - so am wondering if anyone has any good ideas for things we can do at home, or in the garden to encourage a bit more movement?

I often think she's not nearly tired enough for her bedtimes too - which is part of my thinking with this question.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

G

#2 of 8 Old 06-05-2013, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Mini-trampoline!  My DD loves that thing - and she's a "lazy"-type who'd rather talk than anything else. 

Also, my DD likes doing obstacle courses that I set up, similar to ones that she does at gymnastics class.  They involve things like jumping into hula hoops, walking a "balance beam,"  balancing a bean bag on your knee, riding a riding toy in and out of cones....that type of thing. 

And third, we have a set of these foam interlocking floor mats with letters and numbers on them.  They're fun to set up and make active games with, like hopscotch, or running to letters you call out, etc.  You can do similar stuff with sidewalk chalk. 

#3 of 8 Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Grover, do you have a backyard? Since she's not quite old enough to ride a bike yet, she could at least ride a three-wheeler (either a tricycle or something like this http://www.bigw.com.au/toys/ride-ons/bpnBIGW_0000000105593/plastic-three-wheeler-trike-pink  I couldn't find the one we have but that is close enough).

We have a fenced-in backyard and when it is nice enough to go out, as in not raining and not hot enough to make us sweat a lot, one or more of my four children go out to play. When I go out with them I tend to walk around the perimeter in laps to get exercise, and that way I can hear them and walk to them when they need me. We also have three soccer balls (falling apart) and my two-year-old daughter sometimes enjoys kicking one with me. And almost all of my children like to race me from one side of the fence to the other, and they almost always win.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#4 of 8 Old 06-07-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Hi there,

Thanks for those ideas.

Unfortunately we currently live in a place on a hill - so any ball that gets kicked ends up down a long driveway and on a road! Whoops. Ditto, no flat area for a bike.

I try and play chase games with her, but she seems to have no stamina....she's just all about sitting on her bum and reading, or sitting and playing. Then of course at the end of the day she goes completely mental with unused energy - bursting at the seams just before bed time! Hmm.

Newmammalizzy - do you find the mini trampoline dangerous at all?

I used to have one, but gave it away years before pregnancy - damn. I like the idea, but am wondering how often little one would fall through springs or just fall OFF?

G

x

#5 of 8 Old 06-09-2013, 01:33 PM

How about dancing? Can be indoors or out and usually mommy joining/leading leads to lots of giggles and smiles with my girl. Her latest thing is to have "daddy dancing ballet", so the two year old twirls and spins around her 6'3" daddy acting silly and they have a ball.
#6 of 8 Old 06-10-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

How about dancing? Can be indoors or out and usually mommy joining/leading leads to lots of giggles and smiles with my girl. Her latest thing is to have "daddy dancing ballet", so the two year old twirls and spins around her 6'3" daddy acting silly and they have a ball.

Heh heh. Nice image.

We do have some success with dancing - but it usually ends up with one of us having to swing her around and around by her arms. I've been trying to show her other 'types' of dancing (ahem) but...hmm..I don't know...the kid is very stuck in her habits...dancing is...."swing me around by my arms!"

Occasionally balloons do the trick and get her running around and chasing them until she is a bit tired. Bubbles used to be good - but she gets pretty frustrated with them now since she can't catch them, or the wind blows them away (this never used to bother her...but I think she's getting into more control freakiness of late).

And I used to be able to chase her around the house in a game of tag (inside and out) - but she seems bored of that now.

We also try to set up obstacle courses and circuits - but she seems to be interested for about two minutes - which is one hundreth of the time it took to set it up usually!

Her nap dropping is becoming epic - or, rather, it really does look like they're coming to an end. I was hoping to tire her out more physically, especially since she just seems so in-her-head a lot of the time....but maybe it's not to be. I still might investigate the mini-tramp idea....though am nervous about the safety aspect.

G

x

#7 of 8 Old 06-10-2013, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
They make special ones for kids with a handle. We havdn't had any issues with our regular one - other than me tripping over it smile.gif
#8 of 8 Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Ditto on the trampoline - the ones with handles are pretty fool proof.  My 19mo used one at a friends house no problem and let me tell you, she's quite accident prone!  So I shall be investing in one, although we have the opposite need with endless energy all day long ;-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page