Educational DVDs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I read a lot of different reports about educational DVDs and the effect they have on kids.  What does everyone think about these educational DVDs?  What are the best DVDs and where can we get it?

#2 of 5 Old 06-09-2013, 09:57 PM

I think that in the toddler years, DVDs don't serve a real educational purpose. For older children, I like things like the Magic School Bus for science, Liberty's Kids for history and Carmen Sandiego for geography and history.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 5 Old 06-10-2013, 06:54 PM

I don't think they help very much, kids learn much better from other people than from screens. And actually, I think my 2 year old learns much more from apps on the tablet than from any "educational" tv shows or dvds. 

The only educational DVDs we watch are Whistlefritz is Spanish, which I got from Amazon. They are fun because the songs are in Spanish too, but I think she only learns them because I sing along with them. 

#4 of 5 Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The research on dvds for babies is pretty clear. They do not contribute to development. I don't use them and but anyone I know who does refers them to as entertainment for mommy.

#5 of 5 Old 06-13-2013, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I think they're a scam, quite frankly. They're playing on people's fears that their child will become learning disabled or fall behind in school. I think childhood (especially early childhood) is and should be all about play. Young children learn through play. This is a fact and proven through studies, besides being obvious if you really observe a child. It's sad to me that many parents are overly focused on and worried about education when their child is only 2, 3, 4 years old. Even sadder that they would believe a good way to educate a child is to plop them in front of a screen.

Then again, I am somewhat of a Waldorf-oriented parent and I subscribe to the Steiner principle that children shouldn't be taught to read unless they expressly show interest, before school age. That up until age six or seven a child's "task" is to learn and develop through play. Feel free to take my views with a grain of salt. But "educational" tv for young children just rubs me the wrong way.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page