20 mo old suddenly super picky eater, just wants to nurse - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-10-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 20 mo old has generally been a pretty good eater and there are certain foods that I can generally depend on him to eat. He has been rejecting almost all of those lately. Things such as blueberries, banana, almonds, chicken and avocado. We generally eat a Paleo-ish diet, sometimes more than others, but it tends to consist mainly of veggies, fruits, meats and nuts.

Lately I can barely get him to eat anything. He gets really grumpy (presumably because he's hungry) and asks to nurse quite often, like every 2-3 hours. When I give him bits of food on a plate or in a bowl he immediately takes it and dumps it upside down. It is affecting not only his mood, but also his sleep.

He isn't sick and he isn't getting any teeth, that I can tell. He recently finished getting his incisors and has all his 1 yr molars. I don't see any signs of the 2 yr molars.

Any ideas???

#2 of 4 Old 06-10-2013, 11:56 PM

I think it's the age! <sorry!>  I have a 23 mo old and he's just finally exiting that (thankfully brief) period you're describing. I could have written your post a few months ago.  He's now eating everything again and today, he went from sometime in the middle of the night until 4 pm before he asked to nurse! We were just out and about and busy...and he 'forgot'...and ate lots of things and drank tons of water. It was sort of bittersweet...but happy!  

We also eat Paleo-ish (with dairy). I also found that very, very small amounts on a plate was best--just two or three bites. Otherwise, he'd just seem uninterested and dump the whole lot. 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#3 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I had stopped giving him the bowls/plates and just started sharing bites off my plate. Last night he did eat some salmon & avocado and some spoonfuls of almond butter before bed. It's been really hot too so that may be contributing. I'll keep trying and am hoping it doesn't last three months! wink1.gif
#4 of 4 Old 06-12-2013, 11:25 AM

OH my goodness! I have no solution for you. But I sure can relate. My 19 month old has never been a stellar eater but lately...oy. awful. And I'm nearing the end of my rope with nursing. Do I want to stop nursing yet? nope. But if this new-born like nursing continues I may just call it quits. And yes, the most frustrating thing is that HE'S HUNGRY! AND THIRSTY! He gets grumpy and has a hard time sleeping and and and. you obviously know the story. But bottom line is that yeah, I'm right there with ya mama. Super frustrating. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page