quick question: what's your method for cleaning pee and/or poop from the floor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For years I've been wondering what other people do to clean up:

1) pee on a kitchen (linoleum) floor
2) pee on a rug
3) poop on a kitchen floor
3) poop on a rug

We also have hardwood floors in our house but let's stick with those four options for simplicity -- they seem to be where most of the pee and poop accidents happen!

No need to show off -- if you use fancy products/supplies I'm interested, but right now I've just been wiping puddles off the kitchen floor with a dry cloth wipe and nothing else (no going over it with water or soap). Not sure if my lazy-mama approach is totally unhygienic. I know pee is sterile... So I welcome lazy-mama approaches, too.
#2 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I wipe up with a dry cloth and sometimes follow up with a wet one. For carpets I bought a pet pee product. It is really just dilute hydrogen peroxide. You blot off as much pee as you can then saturate with the product and let it air dry.
#3 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I have animals so we always have a bottle of Nature's Miracle on hand, works on all surfaces.  DD even runs to get it from the cabinet for me when she pees on the floor...or coucheyesroll.gif  IF we run out of that I clean everything else with vinegar so I spray the spot before wiping, and done, nothing fancy here.

#4 of 6 Old 06-22-2013, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On tile/hardwood, I soak up pee with a towel or other cloth. I mop the floor maybe once a week if I get to it so I just eliminate the slipping hazard in the meantime. On carpet, I sop up as much pee as possible with a towel and let it air dry. About 2-3 times a year I steam clean the carpets so I don't really worry much in between. Definitely lazy mama here, and 35 weeks preggo wink1.gif
#5 of 6 Old 06-24-2013, 06:17 AM

If there is poop, I use bac-out.  Pee, sometimes I just wipe, sometimes I might spray my standard 50/50 vinegar and water mix on it.  If it's on the couch or carpet and there is a smell after the initial cleanup I will sprinkle some baking soda on it, leave it for a while and then vac it up.

#6 of 6 Old 06-26-2013, 10:18 AM

We haven't had to deal with poop (knock on wood!) but with pee on our hardwood floors, I wipe it up with a spare cloth diaper, then spray the area with the antibacterial spray from 7th generation--forget what it's called but it has thyme oil in it. I do this more to prevent odors than worry about dangerous bacteria.

When she poops in her potty, I rinse it out in the toilet bowl and then wipe it with a lysol wipe. I try to avoid using bleach but I figure fecal bacteria is something I'd rather not mess with. Plus I'm lazy and the presoaked wipes are easy to use.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page