Fire Retardant in kids' beds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm ready to transition my almost-two-year-old to his own bed.  He's been doing a combo of being on the floor on a crib mattress, and also sleeping with us.  I'd like to get him a twin bed because I know that when I nurse him back to sleep, there's the possibility of my falling asleep in the bed with him, and this is becoming hilariously inconvenient and scrunched for the two of us to be on a crib mattress.

But... the bed situation in this country is such a mess!  I am really concerned about fire retardant in mattresses, but am horrified at the exorbitant price range for organic/latex twin beds.  I thought of a used twin mattress that has done some off-gassing, but I know there will still be fire retardant in there, along with other plastics and toxic chemicals.

I'm curious what others have decided on?  With concerns about health/chemicals, etc, of course we have to pick our battles as we can't be concerned with all of it, but this feels like a big one to me... my boy will spend 12 hours a night on this thing.

If you were also in this situation, what did you find in your research/ search?  And what did you decide on?

#2 of 4 Old 06-25-2013, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We splurged on an organic mattress from greenmountainorganics.com
I highly recommend the twin bed route- what is the point of a toddler bed? We actually got the extra long. DH sleeps with DS 1 for at least part of the night most nights and is just as comfortable there as with me and DS. We are in an old regular bed, which will be replaced with an organic one when we have the money, and DS2 will get his own xl twin one day too. You can get thinner ones to mitigate the cost somewhat, but one thing that made the cost easier to justify for me was that the lifespan of a regular mattress is about 8 years, but a latex one I believe (but I can't find a source anywhere to back this up) will last at least 20. So this may be the only bed you will ever have to buy for him.
I understand, the cost is big. And the benefits are fairly abstract- but like you say, they spend so much of their time in bed. I just hope that our old mattress has completely off gassed and is not hurting my littlest one. Who knows.
#3 of 4 Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

We have a convertable crib so the rail comes off the front to accomodate a guardrail and it goes to a full sized bed after that and our plan is to get her an organic moemory foam/tempurpedic style mattress, which is what we have on our bed and she sleeps better on that than her current crib mattress.

#4 of 4 Old 06-26-2013, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We cosleep with a white lotus green cotton/wool mattress. No flame retardants and no doctor's note! We have two twin XLs that make a king. It's a firm bed and took a little getting used to, but now we can't stand sleeping on other beds. It feels so good on our backs! We will be transitioning DS to his own bed soon, so we purchased another XL twin to put on the floor in his room. White Lotus seems expensive, but if you watch you can get crazy discounts on holidays and such. DS's was 50% off. Hope that helps!

Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

Tags
Toddler , Toddlers , Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page