14 month old DD with breast bud having an ultrasound - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last week I noticed that my DD had a breast bud under her left nipple.  It could of been there longer and that I only just noticed, it's not something I regularly check.  After looking around online it seemed that it some cases it was no problem, sometimes it was related to the milk they were drinking and other times related to a hormonal imbalance.

I decided to take her to the peadiatrician because I thought it was weird that she only had it on one side.  She gave DD a full exam and asked when I started menstruating (13yrs).  She said to bring DD back on Wednesday for an ultrasound of her adrenal glands and ovaries just to check that everything was ok.  She said in most cases it's not a problem.  Then she weighed and measured her and started asking me how tall myself and DH are, I'm 5 foot 7, DH is about 2 inches taller than that.  She said that DD was at the top limit on the growth chart.  She's 31.49 inches.  She has always been at the top of the charts for height and weight but the health visitor said as long as she stayed more or less on her own curve it wasn't a problem, she's still just within the curve.

Now of course my mind is in overdrive that she has a hormone problem which is why she's so big, I'm freaking out big time!

note: the doc said it is a myth that breast buds can me related to cow/soy milk...

1pump.giffamilybed1.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gifdiaper.gif

#2 of 6 Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Did they do a blood draw to test hormone levels? I think it would be a good idea to get a referral for an endocrinologist.
#3 of 6 Old 06-28-2013, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

No they haven't drawn any blood.  I asked whether she would do that on Wednesday but she said it wasn't necessary.  Ooh I just wish it was Wednesday already, my gut is telling me that nothing is wrong but still, I'm nervous.

#4 of 6 Old 06-28-2013, 11:50 AM

Hang tight!

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#5 of 6 Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
My DD2 had small hardish bumps where her breasts will eventually be when she was a baby, they eventually went away on their own but I can't remember when. I was told they were most likely due to my hormones from when I was pregnant. They stayed for quite a while but she has nothing now. She's always been a wee bit bigger than her petite sister was at her age. There's three years difference between them and while my older is taller and slim my younger is a bit more broad but still slim. And they often wear each other's clothes.

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25********35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#6 of 6 Old 07-03-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delightedbutterfly View Post

My DD2 had small hardish bumps where her breasts will eventually be when she was a baby, they eventually went away on their own but I can't remember when.

Yeah DD had them from the BF hormones but then they went away, it's only recently that they came back on one side.

So we had the ultrasound today, great fun trying to get a crying DD to lay still.  She gets really scared if she has to lay down with her clothes off anywhere else than home.

The doc said her adrenal glands looked perfect.  She couldn't get the best look at her ovaries because her bladder was empty but she said if there had been any kind of significant cyst there it would of showed up.  When she looked at the growth chart it looked as though DD's height was stabilizing.  We just have to go back in three months to get weighed and measured again to make sure she is within the curve.  We don't have to go back unless we see anything ourselves like sudden growth in height or the breast bud.

It turns out our pediatrician is also an endocrinologist!  She said there was no cause to draw blood, if in the future if she is slightly suspicious she would first ex-ray her hands to make sure her bones aren't aging quicker than they should.

We still have to go back for a check up in three months but it's a relief that the scan was OK.  I guess it's just one of those things.

I am 1.70m, DH 1.76 and the doc predicted that DD would be 1.67, 3 cm smaller than me.  This is weird because my mum is shorter than I am and my dad is like me or a tiny bit smaller so there combined height made me at 1.70.  Me and DH have a larger combined height but DD would be smaller than I am??  Weird, I think I will take that with a pinch of salt eyesroll.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page