Random Shouting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Our son has recently discovered how fun it is to shout. Sometimes he'll just be running around playing and also shouting "ahhhhh!". Or sometimes he'll shout if he wants our attention and we don't respond as quickly as he would like. We try to ask him to lower his volume and tell him we only shout if we're hurt or upset, but he just thinks it's funny. 

This is definitely a behavior we don't want to encourage - any other suggestions for how we can get him to stop doing it? 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2 of 7 Old 06-28-2013, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our girl got into this for a bit - I think it lasted about a month? Tended to use it when demanding attention. Then, after weeks of persistence it just...stopped. Seriously. When she did it, like you, we told her she needed to speak nicely/say please when she wanted our attention/whatever, and it just when it seemed like she'd be shouting her way through college it clicked Or she got bored with the sound of her own voice? ;)

#3 of 7 Old 06-28-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

I really hope he just stops too then! It's so awful in that moment - it's completely like nails on a chalkboard to me! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#4 of 7 Old 06-28-2013, 08:32 PM

DS has a habit of doing this before developmental leaps (walking, speaking in sentences, whatever). smile.gif  It will be a distant memory, then bam!  It's back (oh, joy! orngtongue.gif).  We emphasize using words, other means of getting attention, how screaming hurts our ears, etc. - more than a few times, I just finally left the room if he was with DH.  I'm not even big into natural consequences (or any punishments/withdrawal, really) - but that was just my honest reaction.  I'm not sure anything really clicked with him, but time and acquiring new skills seemed to always make it go away.

Good luck, and hang in there! hug2.gif It could be that something new and exciting is just around the corner. 

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#5 of 7 Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 AM

The screaming is annoying!! Our two year old had been doing that. I think she know we hate it and does it more.
#6 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 03:49 PM

It's a phase.  Not much you can do other than whatever reminders you prefer for promoting "inside voices" or whatever.  Maybe invest in a pair of noise cancelling headphones til the novelty wears off...Yes, they do get over it eventually.

#7 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Well, he's doing it a little less frequently... but he is learning to use it more opportunely now. Sigh. He does stop right away when I ask him use his indoor voice, so maybe we're making progress though. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page