which swim vest for three yr old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-29-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am trying to figure out the difference between swim vests, personal floatation devices and life jackets--- I am wanting to get a better swimvest for my just turned 3 yr old than the one we have. I had gotten the konfidence jacket- but it doesn't seem to keep his head and mouth above water and I later realized it is more for belly swimming than upright floating.

I saw a kid today with a speedo swim vest and he was upright as I was looking for. I looked up speedo swim vests and saw mixed reviews- some said they kept the kids head out of water and some said they didn't-

I am just trying to figure out the right type of swim vest for my learning to swim 3 yr old so that he could float on his own in it if I let go of his hands without his mouth going under water at all- need recommendations please.

#2 of 4 Old 06-29-2013, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I don't have a vest recommendation, all I can say is if you want him safe around water, ISR lessons are the way to go.  They teach babies as young as 6mos how to float on their back and from 12mos on how to roll over, swim underwater, and roll to their back to float when tired or in need of breath.  They repeat the sequence until they reach the edge/ladder/steps, or a person, or will remain in a back float until rescued.  Best money I ever spent.  Kids aren't physically capable of holding their head above water to swim/tread until they are at least 5 so using a vest teaches a position they cannot hold on thier own.  Most drownings occur while kids are supervised (believe it or not!) and even a child who's just learned to swim, can tire quickly and not know how to get to saftey.  DD just finished up 5wks of lessons (she was longer than some bc she's a whiner) and at 19mos, I can literally push her over the edge of the pool into the water, fully clothed, and she is 100% capable of holding her breath, rotating her body, and surfacing on her back in a float.  Not that I would push my child into a pool, but kids fall into water all the time, not just pools, but lakes, ponds, rivers, etc just by walking to close and slipping or someone runs past and knocks them on accident, and most times they aren't dressed for the pool thus ISR teaches at the end lesssons how to swim in "winter clothes" as a safety measure.  Sorry of the long post, but I can't say enough good things about ISR and avoiding the use of flotation devices unless you happen to be on a boat!

#3 of 4 Old 07-03-2013, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Drowning is my biggest unreasonable fear. I say unreasonable only because we are almost never near water. It's just the scariest thing to me. I'm going to look up those swim lessons. It's time I did something about it.

That said, I don't know about your exact question, but I've seen A LOT of recommendations for puddle jumpers and that is what we will probably get for the pool we will be near for a weekend in August. Another friend says she has the speedo one because that was the only one her daughter would willingly put on.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#4 of 4 Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have tried a lot of vests over the years, and I LOVE the Puddlejumper best of all of them.  My older kids (11, 8, 6) are all good swimmers now.  My 3yo is using the Puddlejumper.  I like it because it keeps her safe, for one, but also because it seems to be a better helper at learning how to actually swim. 

lissame72 likes this.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page