Please tell me that I am overreacting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi. I worry a lot with this being my first:( my son is 17 months old and I have concerns about autism. He will scream when we try to rock him to bed at night and when I put him in his crib he will scream more then I will pick him up and all is fine, he is saying some a few words consistently, a few new words everyone now and then but you don't hear them again, he acts like he is carrying on a conservation with you but u can't understand what he is saying (foreign language sounding), sometimes when I say something to him he acts like he ignores me..he throws bad temper tantrums.. Very active and happy.. Really is not interested in playing with other kids...will play with u if you initiate. He does make eye contact, waves bye bye, points to things will imitate..I will bring this up at his 18 month check up but am worried and was just hoping someone can put me to ease. Thanks a lot

#2 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM

sounds just like my 18 month old. you are fine.

#3 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yeah, sounds very normal for a 18 mo old. Some kids are like this.

Honestly, I never met a 18 mo old who would play with other kids.

Ds 9 and dd 5
#4 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 06:13 PM

Sounds almost exactly like my 17 month old! What behavior were you worried about in particular?

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#5 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I am just more worried about his social skills because I have heard that by the time he is 18 months he should have a vocabulary of about 20 words. yeah right!!

#6 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 06:48 PM

Well... if the "average" for vocab of an 18 month old is about 20 words, then I think your little guy is doing just fine considering he has a whole month until he is 18 months!  Kids pick up things differently and he may just a more deliberate kind of guy. For example, my DD did not walk until 13 months.  She would barely walk holding onto our hands, and did very little practice walking around furniture.  I was very concerned that she wouldn't walk, she just seemed to not have the interest. On the eve of her 13 month birthday, she stood up and just started walking circles around our bedroom and never crawled again, and was a very steady walker.  I think she is deliberate, not wanting to bump around trying to figure it and just does it after she's got it figured out. Almost like, nothing, and then, bang!, full on ability.  But seriously, your description of your kiddo could be copy and pasted to describe mine. I think the fact that he jabbers on all day in his little language lets you know you don't have long to go now until he wears you out all day with the talking, lol.

Om'ing to Peace

#7 of 10 Old 07-02-2013, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

If he's developing in other areas I wouldn't be concerned.  Boys typically develop language later than girls but are more adapt with fine motor skills at a younger age.  My DD didn't 'play' with other kids until sometime after 16mos, and even now at 19mos, she's got 2 little girls on our street she see's fairly regularly, but she's not keen on large groups and takes a while to initiate anything with new kids.  All kids develop at different paces.  When your LO talks to you, just keep talking back.  You can repeat what you think he said and go from there.  Mine was, and still is, very into watching my mouth when I talk, especially new or difficult words.  So I annunciate things clearly for her so it's easier for her to repeat.  For example, she used to call peanut butter "dabeet".  No idea where she came up with that, but she tends to reverse some of the letters in longer words so I believe the 'beet' was in reference to peanut.  Anywho, I never asked her if she wanted dabeet.  Always called it by the real name, and oh, about a month ago she walked to the fridge and said "mommy, peanut butter, pees" (L's are not in her vocab haha) and she's said it correct ever since.  So while your son may not call things by the same name as you, I'm sure he uses words that mean something to him, which means he's trying, and will soon get better!

#8 of 10 Old 07-04-2013, 11:28 PM

At 2 my daughter is now VERY verbal, but even a few months ago it was like she was "collecting" words. She would try out a new word once or twice, then would refuse to say it again. I joked that she was saving them up for later, and that seems to be the case, now that she is more confident she won't stop yammering haha. 

And its totally normal for him not to be "playing" with other kids. At his age it is typically just solitary play, maybe going on to associative play around 3-4. But what we usually think of as playing together (cooperative play) doesn't normally begin until around 4 or 5 years old!

#9 of 10 Old 07-05-2013, 08:27 AM

Another point to consider: is your home bilingual? Kids from bilingual homes tend to take longer to verbalize, although I don't think your guy sounds behind at all...

Om'ing to Peace

#10 of 10 Old 07-05-2013, 10:40 AM

Does he seem to have sensory issues (serious aversions to tastes/textures/movement)? 

Has he been consistently behind in multiple areas of development (with autism, you usually have delays across multiple domains of development)?

Are the tantrums random, or in response to obvious triggers (tantrums can be an autism symptom, but they tend to be more random (the cause is less obvious) than normal tantrums, and the duration is usually longer too)?

Eye contact/waving/pointing/imitating are things that most kids with autism don't do, but it's not a fail safe, since some kids with mild autism do some of those things. 

I'd bring it up with your pediatrician if you're concerned, but just based on this post, he sounds pretty normal.  Don't know if you've already seen this, but here's a link for MCHAT (an autism screening tool) you can use in the meantime:  https://m-chat.org

Tags
Toddler , Toddlers , Autism

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page