Had the WORST checkup for our 14mo old! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I went to the doctor's office today for a "routine" check up for our 14mo old and was met with open hostility by a new doctor.  I was lectured and ultimately threatened by her because we identify with the Mennonite (how we live) lifestyle.  We raise our own food, milk cows/drink the raw milk and don't eat things that haven't been prepared naturally.  This doctor threatened to call the Health Department on us because in our state it is illegal to SELL raw milk for human consumption.  We're not selling it, we're drinking it.  I thought honesty was best, so I said we drink our milk straight from the cow - a cow that is pasture-fed (GMO free, grain free - aside from what we use to lure her into the milking station, etc...).  Then, even though it's been in our charts since our first born (3 years now) she lectured me on what a BAD parent I am for not vaccinating our children (even though it goes against what we believe).  She then threatened to call Children's Services on us and file a complaint!  I am so angry at this vicious attack from her!  Now I am stuck trying to find a new pediatrician's office before my baby (who is already 3 days overdue) arrives.

Where is a good place to find a friendly Holistic doctor?  I feel so overwhelmed and emotional (partly due to pregnancy hormones)...I know I will breathe easier once we sever all ties with this practice and find a more reasonable establishment...one that understands our lifestyle and how we choose to live.  Anyone else out there have similar encounters?  I could really use some encouragement!!

#2 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 02:25 PM

Hugs!! That sounds so terrible, I'm sorry you went through that today. Do you have a good relationship with whoever is going to deliver your new baby, ie - doctor, midwife? I would ask them for a recommendation.  When I had my daughter, my midwife give me a list of recommended peds and I also asked on a local crunchy meetup group's mailing list.

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#3 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 05:51 PM

HUGS, you will find someone.  I second the ask your mw/ob about it.

I've had the ped get upset with my ideas, but usually I present the  "uncool" parts of our lifestyle as possible ideas that I'm considering trying ;).  Then they can unload against my idea and congratulate us on being saved from the horror of a baby rolling over onto her stomach while sleeping ('cause, of course, I wake the child to keep her on her back.  riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight).  Unless they ask, I don't tell.  

kblackstone444 likes this.
#4 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 07:20 PM

Yikes, that's terrible!  How awful!  Hope you find someone a little more flexible.  (Frankly I think you're probably safer drinking milk from your own cow, at least you know where she's been).

#5 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Threatening to call CPS on you for doing something that is totally with in your legal rights is not okay. Have you considered filing a complaint against her, both with her office and the medical board?

#6 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 PM

I wouls also file a complaint against her with her office. That is insane, you are well within your legal rights. (sounds like a wonderful lifestyle by the way.) Even if she called CPS, there is nothing they could do and honestly, they would most likely dismiss the call and hopefully concentrate on cases of true endangerment.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#7 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is AWFUL!!! I feel for you. My son and soon to be born son will have a naturopath as a pediatrician. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I think I would be filing a complaint or at the very least writing a strongly worded letter to her office letting them know that you know your rights and are leaving their practice because you have been harassed. Then go on every single review site on the Internet that you can find and give them a scathing review.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#8 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 11:20 PM

Have you considered a Family Practitioner?  They are usually more relaxed, and not so fear based (IMO and from what others have told me about their own experiences).  I agree with the PPs, talk with your midwife/ob and any friends you have with similar life-style choices.  You should be able to have a short meeting to ask a couple of questions and get a feel for their practice(s).  I am sorry about the poor timing!  Don't let this make you feel rushed in finding the doc that is right for you and your family!

Good luck Mama, they are out there!

Tags
Toddler , Toddlers , Child Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page