Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Life with a Toddler (http://www.mothering.com/forum/31-life-toddler/)
-   -   Toddler drunk after a child at park (http://www.mothering.com/forum/31-life-toddler/1386943-toddler-drunk-after-child-park.html)

mummyofM 07-18-2013 07:47 PM

Hi everyone. I am new here and I have a question about something that has really been bothering me. I teach my child not to drink after kids, however at the park today she drank after a little girl aged 3. I never really knew about diseases being passed through drinks, but found out that mono can be spread by drinking after others. I have never had mono and never really knew anyone that had it, so it's not something that ever came up to me. When I saw her drinking behind the girl, I made her stop. I am not sure how much she drank and not sure if that would even matter. Anyone else child got mono from drinking after another child? Should I be worried right now? This is the first time she drank after anyone and I found out that this can happen so I am really worried. I don't know the little girl, or the little girl's mum. She didn't seem to concerned that they drank after each other, but I am worried.

katelove 07-18-2013 08:22 PM

Are you talking about drinking from a bubbler? It's certainly possible to pick up some infections from common use items. Usually it is from contact with the object then touching the eyes or mouth though, rather than from the water. Because you aren't actually sharing the water. If it's something which concerns you then you really need to teach your kids not to use the bubbler at all because you don't know who touched it before you got to the park. And you also need to tell them not to touch any of the playground equipment as that is just as likely to be a source of infection. As is every door handle, bannister, shopping trolley etc etc which you touch throughout the day.

My advice, if you have typically healthy children, don't worry about it. Wash your hands when you get home. Or use wipes at the park before eating.

Viola 07-18-2013 08:54 PM

Do you mean your child was drinking from the stream of water at the same time the other child was drinking it?

Alenushka 07-18-2013 08:57 PM

if it was water fountain I would not worry.

Yes, sharing a cup can lead to mono, menigitis and few other things

JamieCatheryn 07-19-2013 06:37 AM

My policy is to avoid them sharing drinks or biting from the same food, but not to worry if it happens. The kid wasn't clearly sick, right? Chances are low of catching anything bad, then. Might wanna up the Vitamin c and zinc or give Echanacia for a couple days just to ease your mind a bit. I thought teens usually get mono, not young kids?

cynthia mosher 07-19-2013 11:16 AM

Welcome mummyofM! I'm moving your post to the Toddlers forum where it is better hosted. Good luck!