Toddler drunk after a child at park - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone. I am new here and I have a question about something that has really been bothering me. I teach my child not to drink after kids, however at the park today she drank after a little girl aged 3. I never really knew about diseases being passed through drinks, but found out that mono can be spread by drinking after others. I have never had mono and never really knew anyone that had it, so it's not something that ever came up to me. When I saw her drinking behind the girl, I made her stop. I am not sure how much she drank and not sure if that would even matter. Anyone else child got mono from drinking after another child? Should I be worried right now? This is the first time she drank after anyone and I found out that this can happen so I am really worried. I don't know the little girl, or the little girl's mum. She didn't seem to concerned that they drank after each other, but I am worried.

#2 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Are you talking about drinking from a bubbler? It's certainly possible to pick up some infections from common use items. Usually it is from contact with the object then touching the eyes or mouth though, rather than from the water. Because you aren't actually sharing the water. If it's something which concerns you then you really need to teach your kids not to use the bubbler at all because you don't know who touched it before you got to the park. And you also need to tell them not to touch any of the playground equipment as that is just as likely to be a source of infection. As is every door handle, bannister, shopping trolley etc etc which you touch throughout the day.

My advice, if you have typically healthy children, don't worry about it. Wash your hands when you get home. Or use wipes at the park before eating.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Do you mean your child was drinking from the stream of water at the same time the other child was drinking it?

#4 of 6 Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

if it was water fountain I would not worry.

Yes, sharing a cup can lead to mono, menigitis and few other things

#5 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My policy is to avoid them sharing drinks or biting from the same food, but not to worry if it happens. The kid wasn't clearly sick, right? Chances are low of catching anything bad, then. Might wanna up the Vitamin c and zinc or give Echanacia for a couple days just to ease your mind a bit. I thought teens usually get mono, not young kids?
#6 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)

Welcome mummyofM! I'm moving your post to the Toddlers forum where it is better hosted. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page