Tantrums before sleep - help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-19-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

DS is 20 months old and started about 2 weeks ago having tantrums before naps and bedtime. Often, he nurses and seems to want to fall asleep nursing (and touching my belly button) but has trouble. My milk supply is lower now that I'm pregnant and maybe he wants more than there is. I put him down when he seems done nursing, but he asks to nurse again right away. Usually he gets agitated when he realizes there's not much more milk, then I lay him down and tell him the milk is "all done" and it's time to sleep and start rubbing his back. He then starts pushing himself up and crying and yelling "milk all done" and throwing himself all over his bed (mattress on the floor), sometimes rolling off and bumping his head and throwing himself into my lap. When he seems to slow down, I lay him back down again and this gets him even more fired up. I try to offer water in case he is thirsty and sometimes this is the case. We often do this get up/lie down dance for a while (this last time, 40 minutes), until he finally falls asleep to me patting or rubbing his back. He seems genuinely tired and does almost all his crying with eyes closed. But I wonder sometimes if he could drop his nap. I don't know.

I feel like I'm being too rigid sometimes, but DS is a pretty demanding kid and I really want my free time during his nap for as long as I can have it. I am at a loss. What would you do? I think that nursing to sleep is his favorite thing, but it's not working like it used to. He's such a busy guy that I can't think of another way to wind him down that works anymore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-19-2013, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can you try laying down with him in your bed and nursing him to sleep that way? Seems like he will settle and fall asleep faster before he starts to lose it. He's probably just frustrated like you said.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 3 Old 07-22-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Just realized there was another thread really similar to this posted earlier, sorry for the repetition. When I lie with him, he will just finish "nursing" (which is not really getting him any milk), and roll over and get up and play. What finally worked today was telling him it was sleepy time and that his stuffed koala was sleepy and to lie down with his koala for sleepy time. He hugged it and fell asleep holding its foot. Go figure. Still thinking about having more of a schedule by waking him (and myself) up at the same every day.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page