what is UP with this child?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today we had THE WORST morning ever. EVER. DS woke on the very wrong side of the bed. I don't think he's getting sick, but who knows. He came in our room at 6am. We all got up at 630. We left for work/school at 8:30 (usually leave around 8) with his hair & teeth not brushed and no one having had any breakfast. Why? Because he spent the ENTIRE morning crying, screaming, refusing to do anything, than flipping out because he "wanted to do it myself". We spent a lot of time holding/rocking, when he would let us anyway. It kinda went like this (for any given topic):

DS, it's time to do X
whine, cry
Come on DS, let's do X so you can eat breakfast
more whine/cry/I don't want breakfast
DS do you want to do X yourself or should mommy do it
NOOOOO I WANT TO DO IT MYSELF whine cry whine cry
DS, if you don't do X yourself mommy will have to do it for you
more whine/cry/screaming about doing it himself
Mommy/daddy does X for DS
DS has a meltdown.

That's just an example. I tried every trick in the book, including taking him back to bed to cuddle for a bit. He didn't spend more than 1 minute NOT having a meltdown all morning. Daddy finally forcibly dressed him, carried him downstairs, put his shoes on. And then ... suddenly, all is normal!! "I'm ready to go now" he says!! Almost another meltdown when he discovered a banana in his lunch instead of blueberries, but somehow that one was avoided. And he's all happy/inquisitive/normal again.

WTH?! Can anyone explain this? Or at least tell me this might be kinda normal?

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (14).

#2 of 6 Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 AM

Totally normal.  Welcome to the Horrific Threes, as I like to call them.  My daughter was born in March of 2010 and has gone though these really hard periods twice:  once around her 3rd birthday, and now, almost 6 months later.  It's upsetting for me since I often run out of "tools" to help modify her behavior.  I try to only stick with the moth important things.

At that age with both my kids was I started having them throw tantrums in their room.  Not as a punishment, but as a courtesy to others.  I have a very difficult time having the children scream around me, so they're welcome to scream in their rooms.  Crying is considered different and they may do that anywhere.

Also, is he getting enough sleep?  For my kids, if they were waking up at 6:30am then they would have to go to bed no later than 5:30pm, since they're not taking naps.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#3 of 6 Old 07-23-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I think greensad.gif I'm at work now and in a much better mood. LOL

No, I'm sure he doesn't get enough sleep, but no less than usual. He does nap still, once a day. At home on weekends he will sleep anywhere from 1.5 hours - 3 or 4 hours if his father is napping next to him (he works weekend nights). And we don't have trouble going to bed by 10 at the latest even after those long naps. Which makes me believe he's catching up.

At school, I can't remember if the allotted naptime is 1 or 2 hours. They haven't mentioned that he is staying awake. I would love to get him to bed earlier, but even if we go to bed at 7 (cuz I certainly am tired enough!) he doesn't sleep until later. And, TBH, we rarely get to bed that early anyway. I frequently don't get home from work until 6.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (14).

#4 of 6 Old 07-27-2013, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Heck my 20mo does this.  This morning we needed to get out to meet someone.  I gave her several countdown warnings that we were leaving and that I needed to get her in shoes and clothes.  Halfway through dressing she's wigging out, trying to run into the dog crate (normally I don't care except this is a dog that we're pet sitting and I'd prefer LO not invade her personal space even when she' not in it) had a meltdown over the clothes and shoes, then totally fine once buckled into the car.  Happens at least once a day, but usually multiple, always over something she wants to do herself but sometimes just can't for whatever reason.  It's sucks, but I keep telling myself it will pass....eventually!

#5 of 6 Old 07-29-2013, 05:55 PM

Sounds normal to me. Three is a tough age.
#6 of 6 Old 07-29-2013, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yup, that's my kid at 2!

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page