Do you let your toddler watch TV? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 08-02-2013, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I can actually see my kids brains rotting while they are watching Busytown right now.  Such a shame.  disappointed.gif

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#32 of 48 Old 08-02-2013, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

If I didn't have TV while my girls were toddlers... I'd have taken up drinking at breakfast.

#33 of 48 Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyChristianMama View Post

I can actually see my kids brains rotting while they are watching Busytown right now.  Such a shame.  disappointed.gif

"Let's get Busytown!!"

If I hear that one more time I'm going to let Mr. Fixit perform brain surgery on me.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#34 of 48 Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

"Let's get Busytown!!"

If I hear that one more time I'm going to let Mr. Fixit perform brain surgery on me.

All together!  Solve the mystery!

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#35 of 48 Old 08-02-2013, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

We have Netflix on our laptops, and my toddler watches Dora or Caillou when I need to make dinner. So yes, every day.

On my worst day with my 2 and 4 year old, I'm still glad I'm not Caillou's mom.  I know he's just a cartoon character, but what a super-annoying, whiny child!!

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#36 of 48 Old 08-04-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfishgirl View Post

On my worst day with my 2 and 4 year old, I'm still glad I'm not Caillou's mom.  I know he's just a cartoon character, but what a super-annoying, whiny child!!

LOL! My husband says Caillou's DAD is the annoying one, haha. He says he wants to kick his ass!! *eyeroll*

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#37 of 48 Old 08-04-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post

LOL! My husband says Caillou's DAD is the annoying one, haha. He says he wants to kick his ass!! *eyeroll*

I'm sorta crushin' on Caillou's dad. He's such a gentle parent. HOTTT!! ;-P

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#38 of 48 Old 08-04-2013, 01:34 PM

Yeah our kid loves tv. He gets sick of me and books and coloring and toys and talking and singing and sometimes I have to do dishes and so on.  Plus his dad loves tv and is pretty hands off.

#39 of 48 Old 08-06-2013, 12:34 AM

I think this decision hat so much to do with your kids. My kids are like zombies in front of a tv. Creepy. Totally zoned out. And when the show is off, they are hyperactive and aggressive (at least DS). And whiny. So, if I let them watch a show to get something done, I pay for it. Or they pay for it. They obviously don't feel good in their skin either. So - no screen time on most days. On Sundays we watch a kids movie together, so it must be good enough that I enjoy it, too :) That works. After movie comes dinner and than bed. We don't own a tv. It broke and we never replaced it... My 20 month old does not watch, but she does have zero interest, she never tries to watch with her siblings (only to steal their popcorn :) )

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

#40 of 48 Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 AM

Yes... Moms have to cook and clean sometimes! For you moms who feel bad because of AAP standards, I can tell you about my teen who watched a lot of pbs...Genius, all AP classes, tested at 10th grade reading level in 4th grade, the list goes on and on...

I believe he turned out so smart because of attachment parenting and reading about 30 books a day to him when he was a toddler.
I really do not believe his brain was ever hurt by tv.
Chaika and sassyfirechick like this.
#41 of 48 Old 08-11-2013, 02:58 PM

My 3 year old watches TV several days a week for a few hours at a time. Our TV is a streaming TV- no commercials on his programming at all. And I limit what he is allwed to watch. PBS Kids, PBS and Nick Jr. shows on Netflix. I do NOT allow my son to see Disney ANYTHING, as the gender and race crap is AWFUL. Horrible indoctrination there that I would rather he not get.

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#42 of 48 Old 08-11-2013, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillitu View Post
I do NOT allow my son to see Disney ANYTHING

Clearly no Disney trips in your future...What exactly is the race/gender issue you see with Disney (that isn't present just about everywhere else in the real world, aka "equal opportunity")? 

#43 of 48 Old 08-11-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

Clearly no Disney trips in your future...What exactly is the race/gender issue you see with Disney (that isn't present just about everywhere else in the real world, aka "equal opportunity")? 

Some of the stereotypes in Disney movies are just plain awful, especially in the older ones. Also, the whole "princess" thing is really Disney driven. It's like girls are supposed to be one way and boys are supposed to be another. It's pretty awful IMO.

Not sure what the equal opportunity thing means.

joy.gif

#44 of 48 Old 08-11-2013, 06:05 PM

Actually I think some of the Nick Jr stuff is pretty devoid of content. Lillitu, check out the show Imagination Movers. Your son might really like it, it's a Disney Jr show! Also Doc Mcstuffins is about as far away from race and gender stereotypes as you can get!!

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#45 of 48 Old 08-11-2013, 06:14 PM

I really like Charlie and Lola on Disney Jr. We do watch it sometimes over here. I like Nick Jr. a little better. But not much!

joy.gif

#46 of 48 Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Nickalodeon anything was the first banned channel in our house - interestingly my mother also hated it and banned us from watching it as kids and I can remember sneaking the channel on to watch some shows and looking back they've always had horrible programming... I don't treat my LO like a princess so I don't see a problem with watching shows like Sophia the First - she watches just as much Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Jake & the Neverland Pirates and prefers toy cars and planes to dress-up, so tv shows don't define the kid gender-wise.  Maybe falling for the propaganda in stores and buying the merchandising that goes along with *being* a princess, but certainly not just from watching a 22 minute show.

#47 of 48 Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 PM

DD is 3.5 yrs old and she watches maybe 2 hrs TV a day, depending on how busy we are. Luckily I am able to stay home, but with no transportation and not being near a bus stop, I have periods during the day where if I can't take a 25 min break and read on my Kindle I tend to get very anxious and moody (diagnosed Bi-polar II and GAD for 12 years) If things with my mental health were better and I had more energy (I take multiple B-complex vitamins, iron, and folic acid to aid in iron absorption, also diagnosed anemic) I would feel more comfortable not having TV. This is one of those situations where, IMO, you have to do what works for you and your fam. I agree that the negatives may outweigh the positives in general; including taking the time to know about what your kids are watching, or watching it with them to make sure the program is appropriate for your child and your boundaries, and taking time out of free play or other learning activities that would potentially benefit your child more, etc. But for our unconventional lifestyle, where my fiancee is working and we live with my parents who watch a LOT of TV, it *is* nice to keep myself calmer throughout the day in order to be a better and attentive parent to my child. When my mental health problems flare up, despite my treatment with a great therapist, psychiatrist and overall health team, it is incredibly difficult to devote my entire day to my sweet girl without having a meltdown myself. We do great when she can have some quiet time. I did try audiobooks but she just loves her Umizoomi super shapes, and helping answer the hint questions on Blue's Clues. If DD wasn't so into the shows and participating, I would question whether she was benefitting vs. losing out on time spent doing arguably better things. I think you should find something that works for you and your comfort level. And please remember that taking even 20 minutes to yourself during the day while your child plays or has the opportunity to watch TV can give you tremendous emotional benefits and less stress to be Mom. <3

FloridaBorn likes this.
#48 of 48 Old 08-16-2013, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have a 5 year old, a almost 3 year old and a 6 month old.  DD1 had NO tv till 2 then just special occasions till 2.5 when she watched 20 min a day... that caused lots of problems, so we now do TV friday and let both bigger kids watch around 40 min of tv that day... much less behavior issues.  DD2 has befen watching the friday tv night since a little before 2 years.  DS is out with the family when we do TV Friday, so I am sure it will just be that he watches when he becomes interested.  

We also use it if we need to really get something done.... like packing for a trip for example... or clean up for a party.  

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Tags
Television , Media

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page