Singing all day long - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-26-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son sings all the time, makes noises, sometimes sings the same little tune over and over and over and over, endless.

He is three years, three months.

Is this "verbal stimming"
#2 of 5 Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 PM

My 2 years 11 months DS sings to himself much of the day too. About half the time he takes songs he KNOWS the words to and makes up nonsense words while he plays. Sometimes he does this absently, sometimes with focus. I think it's like someone humming, just something he likes to so that makes him calm and happy.

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#3 of 5 Old 07-27-2013, 09:59 AM

My 3 year old does this too. He is rarely silent in fact. We have many reasons to believe (including professional opinions) that he is very mildly autistic and this could be one of his stims- it goes well with his echolalia which seems to be fading lately.

It can be a bit much, to put it mildly- I have issues with noise and I have super sensitive hearing.

If it it is driving you nuts, what works for us is putting headphones on him- when he is listening to music he stops talking/singing and calms down a bit. I think it relaxes him too when he is too amped up.

I do love his singing though- just not after a straight 5 hours...

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#4 of 5 Old 07-28-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting Ex-pat. My son is being assessed in one month. I'm absolutely no expert but if my son is ASD then I hope it's mild. His Echolalia has faded too, and e doesn't script (repeat stuff from TV etc) but he doesn't play with many of his toys properly and has only a bit of imaginary play. He is also unfocused and highly energetic, but he is very, very engaged and social with us, his family, but not to his peers. He just started talking in sentences, sometimes not very clearly

I have him starting a preschool in September that specializes in delays and special needs kids. I hope it helps him make friends and learn new things
#5 of 5 Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

If it helps, my 20 mo DD sings non stop, sung herself to sleep in the car the other day.  Mostly things I sing to her ("baby mine" from Dumbo is her fave) or songs from Disney jr shows, once she picks one she'll sing it over and over and over.....so no improvising per say, just repeating things.  She does do imaginative play but is reserved with strangers.  I like the singing though :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page