Motherly advice - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-04-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are on a much anticipated family vacation and my handful of a 20 month old had an especially tantrum filled morning. My mother says, well, I don't believe in spanking either, but I feel sure when you were her age and acted this way, I just swatted your bottom once and you never did it again. And then she told me some stupid story about someone she knows who took a shower with their tantruming kid and how that worked like magic.
I AM SO IRRITATED! And I feel judgement all around me now. Her's and the rest if the lot. I can see them looking at each other when DD flips out. How can I toughen up and care less about what they think? 6 days left and I wish we never came.
#2 of 5 Old 08-04-2013, 01:16 PM

Trips are really hard on toddlers. their routines are all gone and bed times and nap times and new people it is over whelming for them. We recently ran into this issue a little bit and it was really hard for me. I am sorry you have to deal with this. I just want to offer people spankings when they are in a bad mood. Or have a bad day or are sad.

"You know if you want I could give you a swat and you will learn to not feel this way ever again."

Thats how ridiculous that all sounds to me. Sorry people are so weird.

#3 of 5 Old 08-04-2013, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It's so hard when they're in an unfamiliar environment.

Actually a shower together doesn't seem like such a crazy idea to me. Assuming she likes showers of course. Some alone time with you, water play, a break from the relatives? Could work.

Are you able to get outside at all? Maybe if everyone went for a walk or something. Distraction for everyone to take the focus off your LO and being outside often helps kids feel better.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 5 Old 08-04-2013, 05:34 PM

Just keep reminding yourself that her memories of your childhood are likely not very accurate at all so even the whole "swatted your butt once and you NEVER did it again" is likely not what happened at all. My MIL is full of storied about how DH never misbehaved, slept through the night right away, didn't break anything, etc. Well, everyone else's stories are MUCH different, including DH's memories of his childhood. So I think she likely blocked out the really stressful/annoying stuff and nod and smile (and do my own thing).

We took DD on a vacation recently (she was like 28 months?) and after a few days she started having more tantrums too. We had a long drive, ate out a lot, saw lots of new places, etc. And while much of that is stuff she would normally enjoy, she was misbehaving a lot more. I think it was just the stress of the change (even if some of the changes were fun and exciting). She was missing the comfort of having her own stuff and home even though DH and I were there and we tried to keep her routine as consistent as possible.

#5 of 5 Old 08-04-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post

Just keep reminding yourself that her memories of your childhood are likely not very accurate at all so even the whole "swatted your butt once and you NEVER did it again" is likely not what happened at all. My MIL is full of storied about how DH never misbehaved, slept through the night right away, didn't break anything, etc. Well, everyone else's stories are MUCH different, including DH's memories of his childhood. So I think she likely blocked out the really stressful/annoying stuff and nod and smile (and do my own thing).

We took DD on a vacation recently (she was like 28 months?) and after a few days she started having more tantrums too. We had a long drive, ate out a lot, saw lots of new places, etc. And while much of that is stuff she would normally enjoy, she was misbehaving a lot more. I think it was just the stress of the change (even if some of the changes were fun and exciting). She was missing the comfort of having her own stuff and home even though DH and I were there and we tried to keep her routine as consistent as possible.

Oh yeah so true. My MIL says my partner never cried and never did anything bad ever. Never since he was born did he ever cry. Some moms memories are super rose colored.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page