2-year-old slamming and locking doors - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My 2-year-old, next month 3-year-old daughter started being able to reach up to open doors a few months ago. I was happy for her.

For at least a week now, however, she has been going in a door first, then shutting or slamming it, and locking it right away. She does this with the bathroom door, her bedroom door, even the car door before she sits down in her carseat and I need to open the door to buckle her in. Today was the last straw though. She slammed the door while her brother's hand and toothbrush were in the bathroom doorway, hurting his arm, and locked it.

I've been telling her "no close door" and especially "no lock doors" for days but now I'm not sure if she knows what I mean. After I talked to her about and disciplined her for hurting her brother with the door, within a few minutes she had gone in her room and closed and locked her bedroom door. I had her open the door and I once again told her to leave the door open as I led her past the open door to her bed for her nap.

I realize that having a policy of keep the door open is not always wanted, such as when a guest is here and we want to close the bathroom door, but that doesn't happen too often.

If you've been through this, what helped you?

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#2 of 2 Old 08-27-2013, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Perhaps affirming or confirming that she's needing some privacy or alone time will help & explaining that it's ok for her to have that, but that you would like her to be more gentle in shutting doors cuz it hurts your ears to hear the slam & that it can really hurt people if they're standing in the way as evidenced the other day w/her brother.
If talking doesn't help take the door knobs off for a while til the phase passes. Or get those door knob covers so she can't turn or lock the knob? And/or replace the locking knobs w/the kind that don't lock.

Hang in there & try not to make a big deal out of it, phases pass more quickly when those littles can't push our buttons as much!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page