bed transitions oh boy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI Ladies! SO I'm currently 12 wks pg with #3, DD is turning three next month and DS is 14 months.  Each child will have a 20 month age difference from the next -ooohh boy! :)

DD has just last night has just learned how to crawl out of her crib -which since day 1 has always been a wonderful safe haven for her.  She's always loved it, never been a struggle with bedtime, sleeps 14 hrs through the night, yadda yadda.  So considering we made it to 3, we're pretty happy and have decided to get her a big girl bed for her birthday in three weeks.

Then there's DS, who's sleep has been less than stellar since day one.  He's a massive kid, already 24 lbs, and pretty much the same size as his sister.  He's required night feedings all along, but has always finished the bottle, turned over and gone right back to sleep.  We even got about three weeks of going through the night without!  Now, for the past month hei has been extremely restless. tossing and turning ALL night.  there isn't a stretch longer than 20 minutes that this kid doesn't toss, turn, wimper, sit up and flop back down, crash into the sides of the crib, you name it.  At first we thought it was teething, but a month later? tylonol and ib profin seem to have no effect.  Sometimes he wakes around midnight, and just lies there with his eyes open for hrs!  often 3-4 hrs at a time.  NO amount of rocking or milk or ignoring him seems to make a difference, we've tried everything.  So the only thing that I can think of now is that perhaps the crib is too small for him? After all, he's almost as big as his 3 yr old sister that's ready for a big girl bed...

So what do I do? Can I really put a 14 month old in a reg bed? How do I keep him there? Right now he is not rocked to sleep, he puts himself to sleep after about 10 minutes, I don't see how that will happen in a mattress on the floor.  Should I have my handy DH "build" a quasi crib with a double mattress? 

I never thought I'd have two kiddos out growing cribs at the same time.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue with such a young kiddo, and did you seek night time relief after giving them more space? Or do you think this night time disturbances are unrelated?  thanks

#2 of 4 Old 08-30-2013, 06:47 AM

We transitioned my oldest (now 2.5) around 18 months. Our routine was to nurse to sleep in a recliner and then I'd put her down in the crib once she was in deep sleep. Well that stopped working so we put her crib mattress on the floor and we'd lay down to nurse and I'd simply get up once she fell asleep. Once this became our new routine, we got her a very low double bed from ikea and never looked back. You could try his mattress on the floor to see how he takes to it and if he doesn't, simply put it back in the crib. We moved away from the crib not due to size but because she started waking each time I tried to move her. Good luck and congratulations on your growing family. I only have two (2.5 years and 5 weeks) so I can only imagine how challenging juggling 3 young kids would be!
#3 of 4 Old 08-30-2013, 07:13 AM

Wanted to add that he may simply be going through a sleep regression, after all 20 months is a busy time for learning skills. You may want to wait a bit to see if it settles.
#4 of 4 Old 08-30-2013, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

My nearing 22mo is a big time bed flopper - has even kicked the rails on her crib so hard I thought they were going to crack.  But no way am I ready to set her free at night yet!  Her crib converts to a toddler bed then a full size, but I'd lean towards sleep regression or teething rather than he's outgrown the bed size.  Teething, especially something like 2yr molars, can take months to finally break through, so I guess it depends on how many teeth he has now (is he at the 8 top/8 bottom already or still missing some pre-molars?) whether or not it could be that.  DD erupted 6 teeth at once last time - 4 pre-molars and 2 top incisors - and it took at least 4 mos for those suckers to break through.  At that age it could be a mental growth or physical growth spurt.  Most kids have just learned to walk in those last few months and are mastering the skill along with a lot of verbal stuff that if it hasn't already happened will be up and coming.  So it's a rough time overall.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page