Nap time frustrations. Advice please? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-10-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking for advice to transition my 21 month old dd to napping/quiet time with less involvement from me.  Currently, dd usually naps for an hour from around noon to one.  I usually nurse her down.  Sometimes this is a quick process (15 minutes) and sometimes this is a very long process ( i.e try at 11:30, no dice, try again at noon, no dice, try again at 12:30, no sleep, finally falls asleep around one or one thirty).   As I said, she usually naps for an hour, but often still seems sleepy when she wakes from it, and then I will nurse her back to sleep for another 30 minutes but then I have to lay with her or she will wake up.  We have a floor bed -  don't use a crib, which I am regretting and wondering if I can get her used to a crib now.  I am just so jealous of those mamas who get their babies down to sleep in cribs (or can set their babies in cribs awake) and have 2-3 hours to themselves in the afternoon.  Compounding this is the fact that I am 22 weeks pregnant, and am concerned about dd's high need for naptime help once #2 comes.

At night she is rocked, then DH lays with her until she falls asleep, so I know she can fall asleep without nursing.  She seems to need LOTS of decompression time to fall asleep - getting her to sleep at night is often a long process.  Oftentimes, she doesn't even really show sleep signals or look that tired. Nursing really helps her relax, but as soon as nursing is over if she hasn't fallen asleep she will pop right up and be ready to go - she doesn't stay drowsy. Has always been that way. She doesn't really seem to even NEED a nap all the time, but I need it!! I am wondering if implementing some independent quiet time would be more successful, and if she falls asleep she falls asleep, and if not, oh well.

Ideally, I would love it if I could put her in a crib for some quiet time/nap time and let her be for that hour/hour and a half.  I just don't know how to get there from here, and if any mamas have done it and HOW to do it.  Advice?

#2 of 6 Old 09-10-2013, 05:20 PM

I find nighttime sleep easier than daytime sleep. Do you think you coud get her used to a crib at night first and then try for naps afterwards?
#3 of 6 Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

I could.  We co sleep at night though, so that would be a big change for her.  She does so well I am just concerned that getting her in a crib at night would mess her up.  I guess I feel like her naps already suck, so if they get worse it can't be that bad, whereas nighttime sleep (once she falls asleep) I'm really happy with and don't want to mess up....

I would be fine continuing to use her floor bed, but I don't know how to KEEP her on her floor bed - i.e. if I were to give her books and quiet toys for quiet time, I think she would get up and wander instead of stay there.  Whereas with a crib she would have to stay there.... that was my thought process at least.

#4 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 04:41 AM

Yes, that's what I assumed you were thinking. I didn't realize you were co-sleeping at night. Probably best not to change that since it's going so well. I think you could try a crib for naps. Could you start by nursing her to sleep in a chair and then placing her in the crib asleep? At least to start? Then once she's used to the crib you coud move on from there.
#5 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I could try that and see how it goes.  I was also thinking about maybe doing short stints in the crib with books/quiet toys.  Just like 5 mins and then get progressively longer.  I'm not sure how she'd do with that.  She used to hate her crib and would cry whenever we put her in it, which is why we gave up on it. We took it down and haven't used it in 6 months or so..... 

#6 of 6 Old 09-13-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the past two days she has refused to nap.  She's handled the long wake time better than I have. :( I was hoping she would nap until we at least had #2 in January, but now I'm not so sure.  The nice thing is she goes to bed super early now!  Still wondering about the quiet time transition, but haven't tried to implement that yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page