How to get him to not hit/bite/kick/scratch. help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-15-2013, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2.5year old hits, kicks, bites and scratches. I know this can be typical toddler behavior but how can we encourage him to stop. He mostly does it to my husband and he is getting extremely frustrated with it. We've tried calmly taking to him and explaining we don't hit people, it's not nice, that is not Ok. But he continues to do it. Anyone have any advice? Thank you!
#2 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
If my 3yo does any physical stuff like that I say sternly "no hitting/scratching/biting" and move out of reach. If she is on my lap i immediately put her down and move away.

If she takes me by surprise I have reacted with a startled "OW!!" which is sometimes unintentionally effective too but, with younger kids, can just be seen as funny so I don't purposely use it as a strategy. I think it has worked because it was a genuinely pained, surprised exclamation.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 05:50 AM

Like Kate has said, move away from him the moment he does that and an expression to show him that it hurt. No amount of saying 'no' to him is going to help. If he stops immediately and comes to you or your husband, let it pass and try to divert him into doing something else. My niece was like that at 2 and this worked for her. Also make sure if there are any kids around him who do that. Maybe he's picked it up from someone.

#4 of 5 Old 09-18-2013, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DD is the same age and does the same thing. She left a huge red mark on DH's shoulder because she bit the crap out of him THROUGH  a shirt! She's left the most awful bite marks on her own hands because of biting them out of anger. I haven't the foggiest how to get her to stop, especially when she bites her own hands. It's not like we can take those away!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#5 of 5 Old 09-19-2013, 03:06 AM

I will physically restrain my daughter if need be, like by holding her wrists if she won't stop hitting. If I move away she just follows and gets more worked up, so I just prevent her from hurting me while I calmly explain that I don't like being hit and it hurts. I had a younger cousin who used to get really upset and aggressive sometimes, and I remember showing her how to attack a pillow if she felt the need to lash out and that worked surprisingly well - at first it was just sort of funny, but then she started doing it when she was angry instead of hitting me. Maybe try something along the lines of "I see that you're angry/excited/frustrated/upset so how about we wiggle/run/jump up and down instead of hitting/biting/kicking"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page