Mothering Forum banner

Can these things be "Normal" toddler behavior?!

623 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Blanca78 
#1 ·
My DS will be 2 1/2 in a couple of months and sometimes he will exhibit some "red flags" like spinning in a circle or being a picky eater or throwing a tantrum etc. can't these things just be a normal occurance of toddlerhood? Or do they always equal a diagnosis of some sort.

He's a pretty smart guy, I think. He can name the letters of the alphabet, knows his colors and shapes well. He speaks well, mostly speaking in sentences now. He's loving and likes to hug and kiss. He's been pretending a lot lately, like talking on the phone, cooking in his kitchen or making us play guitar in his band.

#4 ·
All sounds totally normal to me as well. My rule of thumb, if something is interfering with a child's ability to function in the world, it is something to get checked out.

All the things you mention can be part of normal toddler development. If you have a niggling concern, I'd keep an eye on it, maybe talk to your ped, but I've worked at a coop preschool with my DS for 2 years now and I've seen typical kids do everything listed as a "red flag" - those signs are really only a red flag if a childt seems to be developing atypically in some way.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizgig View Post

My rule of thumb, if something is interfering with a child's ability to function in the world, it is something to get checked out.
Great point, with the inverse as well: if something isn't interfering with one's ability to function in the world, let it be.

#6 ·
I'm with those saying that those things sound like normal stuff. I believe each of my two kids have spun in circles till dizzy, been picky in regards to food and thrown tantrums. But I would guess if any of those activities seem excessive, you would want to check into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.