What are you handing out to trick or treaters? Will you be ditching the sugar?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 10-16-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am torn once again on what to give the trick or treaters!  I feel like kids are SO over loaded with sugar these days and I don't want to be a contributor.  Then again, I was raised on a whole food no sugar diet and I LOVED Halloween because I got to eat candy for once!  I also have the vivid memories of the houses that gave out apples and raisins because....they ALWAYS got egged and toilet papered!  So what will you be handing the little ones this year when you hear "trick or treat!!"?

CocoBird likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 10-16-2013, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last year I went and bought all non-GMO candy and although expensive, at least I had a clear conscience! This year I'll be nursing a newborn so my husband may be in charge, which probably means a ginormous Costco bag of snickers and kit kats will end up on the menu. LOL :-/
gardendweller likes this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 37 Old 10-19-2013, 01:22 AM

Candy here. It's Halloween.

Nazsmum, Dela and gardendweller like this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#4 of 37 Old 10-19-2013, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Candy here, but we do keep a stash of glow stuff and small toys for the little ones who don't do sugar. A surprising number of the older kids chose glo-bracelets last year so I'll double those this time....we're a popular T~O~T neighborhood. smile.gif
#5 of 37 Old 10-19-2013, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Seeing as how my DD can't do dairy, just about everything she would get out of trick-or-treating will be a no-no anyhow.  We go around for the fun of it, but DH will end up eating the majority of her stash.  I kind of wish people did alternatives for the littles around here, and I know some people go out ahead of time and "supply" the neighbors with things for their kid, I'm just not about to do that.  We hand out standard big bag candy.

Catwmandu and gardendweller like this.
#6 of 37 Old 10-19-2013, 08:27 PM

I was thinking about doing the little Play-doh containers that I saw at Costco but now we're planning not to be home anyway so guess we won't need anything. DD is only 2.5 so we won't be doing much trick-or-treating, probably will just visit a few relatives so they can see her in costume.

#7 of 37 Old 10-19-2013, 08:39 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I always do hard-boiled egg pumpkins.  Color a jack-o-lantern face on the boiled egg with a black crayon, then dye it orange. Trick or treaters sometimes look at me funny, but we have never been TP'd!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#8 of 37 Old 10-20-2013, 08:48 AM

you could always do small toys or coins. Pennies, nickels or dimes are always fun to find in the candy bag. 

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#9 of 37 Old 10-20-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

I LOVE the idea of glowing things and play-doh!!!:thumb

#10 of 37 Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 AM

We just hand out candy, but we have had neighbors hand out glow in the dark stickers and other glow things that my kids loved to get.  One house where we use to live handed out mini rubber duckies with a different theme each year.  One year it was zombie duckies, another year it was doctor/nurse duckies.  I think they got them off of oriental trading company.  We have also had people give out mardi gras beads and cheap leis.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#11 of 37 Old 10-20-2013, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Oh, Mardi Gras beads, good idea! Dh dragged home a delivery box full that I'd love to get rid of.
#12 of 37 Old 10-22-2013, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Glow sticks, stickers, and bubbles from the dollar store, along with a bag of smarties. :) 

#13 of 37 Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 PM

I'm in the camp of CANDY. It's Halloween, it's a special day, why not? If parents don't want their kids to consume candy they usually don't take them trick-or-treating! I always hand out yummy earth lollipops because they're free of most allergens and don't have artificial dyes or flavors. However, we have a Halloween party every year and I serve healthy-ish snacks and favors to balance it out. Each of the kids will take home a goody bag of spider rings, spooky tattoos, etc.  

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#14 of 37 Old 10-23-2013, 11:49 AM

Our favorite natural candies are YUM EARTH Organics, they are free of all allergens I believe and non-gmo. There are suckers, wrapped candies and different gummies too. We are not handing out candy because our house isnt on a street that kids walk on but if I were it would be anything by them. Id feel better knowing I was handing out candy that is yummy AND better for you than your typical gummi bears/dum dum suckers.

We are a treehugger.gif family by nature...my beloved partner in life hippie.gifour little drummer boydrum.gif(Apr.2011) and Autumnal girlflower.gif(Oct.2013)       goorganic.jpgsigncirc1.gif  h20homebirth.gif  namaste.gif 
#15 of 37 Old 10-24-2013, 07:41 AM

I must be just weird about sugar cause I was thinking the other day that if we were going to hand out treats, I'd rather do those little bags of potato chips than candy.
#16 of 37 Old 10-24-2013, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Nerd Ropes, Ring Pops, and giant Pixie Sticks.  As someone else said, if people didn't want their kids to eat candy, they wouldn't take them Trick or Treating ;-)

I also have vampire teeth, glow bracelets, sugar free candy, and a few small bags of pistachios for a few specific kids I know who have allergies, diabetes, or other food issues (or, you know, any other kid who tells me they have allergies or whatever.  I don't need a doctor's note or anything :wink).

My own kid has always had a pretty good understanding of candy and limits (I am actually throwing out candy from last Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day, and Easter TODAY to make room for the onslaught) so I don't worry about it much. 

#17 of 37 Old 10-24-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

I always do hard-boiled egg pumpkins.  Color a jack-o-lantern face on the boiled egg with a black crayon, then dye it orange. Trick or treaters sometimes look at me funny, but we have never been TP'd!

I would never allow my child to eat something like that unless it was from someone we know.  

rachelsmama and CocoBird like this.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#18 of 37 Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heldt123 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

I would never allow my child to eat something like that unless it was from someone we know.  

Seriously? I am honestly sad for you, that you live with such fear. Would it be somehow easier to poison an egg than a piece of candy? Do you really suspect your neighbors of such things?

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#19 of 37 Old 10-24-2013, 08:49 AM

I usually give a choice of candy or play-doh. (The really young kids and the teens usually choose play-doh. I give 2-3 colors to each person so they can make something.) I buy the mini-sized but could not find them in bulk bags this year.

I tried giving the Yummy Earth suckers one year. My children like them but the neighborhood kids didn't like them. For years we gave out the full sized candy bars and the kids would get so excited...but they are too expensive now considering we can have over 200 hundred kids come to the door. We never know how many since there are a lot of drop-offs in our neighborhood. The past couple of years I gave the Endangered Species Halloween squares. (Similar to Dalia's comment, my conscience felt better giving fair trade chocolate.) But I forgot to order them this year so I will pick up something at the store.
#20 of 37 Old 10-24-2013, 08:53 AM

I would have refrigeration concerns, to be honest but I hear it's actually COLD in some parts of the world for Halloween ;-)  so maybe not such an issue. I don't actually know my neighbors that well.  I'm not overly concerned about germs but I've recently discovered that a lot of people have pretty filthy homes and let their cats on the counters and they aren't people I would've suspected as being dirty on the down low ;-) so I might not want to eat their brownies, but a boiled egg?  What can you do to a boiled egg? 

My daughter would be utterly delighted by the novelty of a pumpkin egg, whether she ate it or not!  It's a super cute idea. 

#21 of 37 Old 10-24-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldt123 View Post

My grandmother always made popcorn balls and put them in waxed paper bags.  In the 60's and 70's we would get quite a few handmade treats.  But by the 1980's I think most people threw out the homemade stuff.  (I was not trick or treating in the 80's but I heard people saying they would not allow their children to eat non-store bought items.)  My grandmother continued to make popcorn balls and I always felt bad that she worked so hard on them.  But, I understand.  I do not think people would poison my children, but I am grossed out by the thought that people may not have clean hands, clean kitchen, etc.  (I know....if I thought about it I would never eat at a restaurant!)

#22 of 37 Old 10-24-2013, 09:13 AM

I was trick or treating in the 80s and I can remember all the warnings about thumbtacks in red hots and razor blades in apples.  First of all, who was eating red hots or apples?  NO ONE.  Secondly, apparently neither of those things ever actually happened.  The homemade treats dried up around that time. 

I did grow up in a very small town where we could and would trick or treat only where we knew people...but that was everywhere so it worked out ;-)  If we lived in a neighborhood where everyone was close, I'd love to do candied apples or popcorn balls.  I think I may start doing the boiled egg pumpkins for class parties.

#23 of 37 Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

LSD stickers?

OK, just kidding, I have no clue where to get those.

I have done chips and pretzels...just a different kind of sugar, but kids actually like those things.  I remember getting apples on occasion as a kid, and we'd cut them up or something, just to be on the safe side.  Or, you know, just even look at the apple, figuring if someone slid a razor blade in, we'd see it.  But generally the old lady handing out apples was perfectly nice.  

There were neighbors that did up a whole table, dressed in costumes and had a big witches cauldron of hot apple cider, and home-baked treats wrapped in plastic.  Since we still do bake sales and homemade treats in schools here, that would not be weird to me. My mom wasn't huge on us taking homemade treats even in the 70's, but if they were with us and they saw the people giving out the popcorn balls, you pretty much felt like it was OK. She just wanted us to be sure we noticed where we got the stuff from. 

#24 of 37 Old 10-25-2013, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I wouldn't eat homemade items from people I didn't know well on Halloween for the same reasons I don't take baked "thank you" items from my patients: people are grubby, and there are several documented stories about people making basically pot brownies for people (nurses, specifically), or anecdotally, with cat food or other "practical jokes" for non-Halloween events. Not that it would kill you, but really, who needs that?
Tiffa likes this.
#25 of 37 Old 10-25-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I think we're going to hand out the usual junk candy, big Costco bag.

I really like the ideas of special treats for kids with allergies, no sugar, etc. I think I'll pick up some little toys and trinkets for those kiddos and put up a sign so people know we have those things. Thanks for those great ideas!

I ate some homemade treats even in the mid and late 90's. The occasional carmel apple or popcorn ball. It was only older women giving those out. I think they probably just had extra time on their hands and wanted to do something special.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#26 of 37 Old 10-25-2013, 04:40 PM

I don't live in fear, but I guess my parents made such a big deal about making sure candy was well wrapped and any cookies or homemade goods were from neighbors we knew, that it rubbed off on me. I always check my kids' candy. It's just how I was raised. I don't freak about it or anything. No offense to anyone who gives out homemade goods. I know it shouldn't be that way, but I just feel "better safe than sorry."

As for sugar: I don't like my kids to have a lot of sugar, but it's Halloween, and I want them to participate in the fun. However, they do cut their candy stashes in half. We have the Switch Witch! The kids put out half of their candy for her, and in return, she leaves a gift. Something more useful and that will last longer than candy--crafts, art supplies, soccer ball or volleyball, a clothes item they want, etc. They are sweet and even leave some candy for the Switch Witch that they know their moms like. :)

fayebond and gardendweller like this.

I've been with DW , DD1(16), & DD2(12) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 6/21/13. . Family of five females! LOVE makes a family.
M/C 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.
#27 of 37 Old 10-25-2013, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Switch Witch!! I love it!!
#28 of 37 Old 10-30-2013, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We do candy and have other, non-sugar treats in the mix, like yo-yos and those little cute colored hotel size soaps.  The kids can pick, and usually, the toys go first because kids get plenty of candy.  

I understand the mom who is concerned about the egg pumpkins.  You don't know how other people prepare their food, especially when its a big neighborhood.  When I was younger, I got an apple with a needle.  Didn't actually eat the needle but it was scary.  This is the holiday of blood and witches and all things ugly.  I love homemade treats as much as the next person, but not from Halloween unless its a party where I know the other people.  Its still a cute idea, I just wouldn't let my children eat them.  

#29 of 37 Old 10-30-2013, 05:40 PM

Witches *ehem* not ugly, thank you very much!
That is scary you got an apple with a needle. I don't understand why anyone would do such a thing (surely not a witch) but that is why I think better safe than sorry and check all candy for tampering and don't allow homemade goods unless we know the neighbor it came from.

I've been with DW , DD1(16), & DD2(12) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 6/21/13. . Family of five females! LOVE makes a family.
M/C 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.
#30 of 37 Old 10-31-2013, 06:28 AM

Love the switch witch! Probably too early for us (dd1 is 2.5) but will file it away for later. We will probably also only trick or treat about a block so 12 pieces of fun size candy over the next few days won't be much of an issue. I do like the idea of the pumpkin eggs but I'd bet they would go straight to the compost in this neighbourhood and with an average of 150 trick or treaters, eggs would be pricy! We live in a pretty mainstream urban neighbourhood so candy it is. I do like the idea of offering little toys for those who can't do candy though.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page