"ok to wake" alarm clocks - any luck? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-21-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, My 3.5 yo DS is still getting up 2 times a night and often waking for the day around five (in bed a 8p.m. sometimes still awake at 10p.m.).  we had a good 6 months when he would sleep through most nights, but now he just won't.  Sometimes he wakes up at 4:30, flips his light on, toddles down the hall and say's, mommy, let's get up! 

Has anyone tried the "ok to wake" clocks that change color to let your little one know when it's time to get out of bed?  Just curios if this works for any of those extra spirited toddlers out there?

Aug 2009;  DS1 Sep 2010; Dec 2012; Dec 2013; May 2014
#2 of 18 Old 10-21-2013, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
We have the owl one. I used to night wean my toddler and worked really well. She loves that thing.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#3 of 18 Old 10-21-2013, 04:28 PM

We have a VERY spirited, terrible sleeper.  This has worked fairly well for us.  Not 100%, but we have it set for 6 and I can say "is the green light on?" and he knows its not time to get up.  The first few weeks it actually was like a miracle (I made the light the bad guy, as in "Oh no, we can't get up, there's no green light yet.")  Since then it has lost some of its magic, so he still has occasional morning where he's asking me to get up from 4:30 on. But, for us, it was worth the money.  I'd say 9 times out of 10, he accepts that it isn't time yet and drifts back to sleep.

Only thing we found was that we needed to put it in the closet with the door cracked, otherwise it occasionally woke him up (which made me want to smash the poor thing).  The light, even on lowest, was fairly bright, but in the closet we can still see it without it lighitn up the room like an alarm.

Good luck!

#4 of 18 Old 10-21-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Fizgigs, I was concerned that the rave reviews were all from easy sleeping kiddos.  Sounds like your life is much like mine :)

#5 of 18 Old 10-21-2013, 08:35 PM

I have been thinking about one of these for DD! One of the things I did for the lamp in her room is put it on a timer (like the kind you'd use to turn your lights on/off when away to give the illusion someone is home). She kept turning it on when she was getting up at night and it was making going back to sleep harder (the lamp was new to her room then). So now the timer means she can't turn the light on till it's about time to wake up anyway. It's hidden behind the closet door so she doesn't bother it and it has an "override" switch so I can get the light on if I need to at other times.

#6 of 18 Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I ordered the teach me time ok to wake clock.  Can't wait to get it and try it as I am starting to really struggle on 5-6 hours of broken sleep every night.   Hope it works. 

#7 of 18 Old 10-25-2013, 08:33 AM

Rrmum please update after you get the clock. I'd love to hear how it works for you!
#8 of 18 Old 10-25-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Will do!

#9 of 18 Old 11-01-2013, 05:45 AM

Any updates? We're thinking about getting one of these too to nightwean our two-year-old.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#10 of 18 Old 11-01-2013, 07:54 AM

We just used a regular clock and taped over the last two numbers.  Ds knew that if there was a 7 on the clock (we put a little 7 sign next to it) that he could get up.  It worked really well for him.

#11 of 18 Old 11-01-2013, 07:59 AM

Mamalisa: How old was your son when that worked for him?

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#12 of 18 Old 11-01-2013, 01:56 PM

Under 3?  He's always been sort of a strange kid, does exactly what he's told and getting into trouble just doesn't occur to him  So it was easy for  us not to have to worry.  

#13 of 18 Old 11-01-2013, 03:43 PM

escher- we have the ok to wake owl. We got it specifically for night weaning and it worked really well.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#14 of 18 Old 11-03-2013, 07:38 AM

Just wondering if the owl is completely dark before it's time to rise? My son needs total darkness to fall asleep. Thanks and thanks OP for starting the thread.
#15 of 18 Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

So I have an update.  We've had the clock for a week, we got the "teach me time" version.  First night we accidentally set the alarm (very loud!), but DS was already up so it didn't matter. Then we have been dealing with daylight savings.  So far my son seems to get the concept very well, but he just doesn't really seem to get why he should comply.  We even got his pediatrician involved (whom he DS adores) to tell him how important rest is. The clock speaks the time when you push a button, so DS is loving to push that to see if it is bathtime yet, or bedtime, or story time.  So the clock is forcing us to be really consistent and y transparent about the guidelines for when things happen with our nighttime routine.  It is also giving us a vehicle to talk about strategies for staying in bed.  Like, "so if you wake up and you notice that the clock is still yellow, what does that mean... right, your body needs more rest and mommy and daddy need more rest.... so what can you do to help your body go back to sleep... right hold your puppy, or close your eyes, or if you are cold..."  

So no really concrete results, but I'll give another update in a week. I can see the clock having a sort of neutral authority less likely to be questioned than mom and dad.   At the least it is a nice nightlight and clock. 

Cheers,

Julie

#16 of 18 Old 11-07-2013, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the update!

#17 of 18 Old 11-10-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmary View Post

Just wondering if the owl is completely dark before it's time to rise? My son needs total darkness to fall asleep. Thanks and thanks OP for starting the thread.

You press the owl to make it light up and it stays on for about 5 min and then shuts off. If it doesn't get pressed it stays off until wake up time.

#18 of 18 Old 11-11-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

OK, so finally this morning I heard my little guy up, in his room wandering around at 5:30 a.m.  Then it got quite.  When he finally woke up at 6:30 he said he waited for the clock to turn green.  So I think we had our first success with this thing.  I think it is bringing some awareness to him that there is even the option to go back to sleep.  I have hope for a full night sleep soon!  My MIL said DH didn't sleep through the night until 4!  I hope we don;t surpass that family record as I'd really like to be away for a night with DH!.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page