2.5 year old milestone help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-25-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everybody, I'm new to the site. I just found out about it.

I have a few questions for you about some of the milestones I saw on my Peds ages and stages questionnaire.

1. There was a question that asked if your 2.5 year old could copy a vertical/horizontal line and copy a circle. My DS cannot do this! He doesn't care to color at all and I attempted this numerous times with him and all he does is scribble. It said on the questionnaire if all they do is scribble to answer "not yet" I hear some people saying their 2 Year olds can trace letters and this worries me because this falls under cognitive ability greensad.gif

2. It asked if he knows how to unscrew lids off of jars and open things. He can't unscrew lids, because I've never said "here, can you open this jar for me?" Lol. He will try to open things like toys and things and if he's unable after a little trying he says "mommy open this please"

These milestone charts give me such anxiety whenever I read them and he's not doing something yet. He can do a lot of other things like recognize all his letters, knows all colors and shapes and count to 4, talks in sentences etc.
#2 of 4 Old 10-26-2013, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Really, don't worry about those tests.  The unscrewing jar thing made me laugh.  Like I want my toddler getting up on the counter and getting into the peanut butter! 

#3 of 4 Old 10-27-2013, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum06 View Post

Really, don't worry about those tests.  The unscrewing jar thing made me laugh.  Like I want my toddler getting up on the counter and getting into the peanut butter!

LOL right?! I dread the day mine can open the fridge - she already destroys boxes when she open the lower cabinets.  Milestones are sometimes so ridiculous because it's an average, and your LO won't hit all the averages at the same time.  Mine is turning 2, talks up a storm and does like to "color"....but trace??  Yah not so much.  She's more action oriented and can climb ladders and rock walls like no ones business, but she's not so good at the fine motor skills, which all come with time.  So look at all the things your Lo CAN do, and don't sweat the stuff he can't.  Because pediatricians will give you crazy looks if your kid is ahead of the curve on something as well.

#4 of 4 Old 10-31-2013, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DS1 drew circles when he was 2 because he insisted we draw millions of cars for him (the wheels are circles).  I remember his Dr. didn't believe us when I told her that.  He has never like to color; even now that he's 6, he'll only color as a way to get to something else, like be allowed to go shred pages from coloring books in the paper shredder (I told him he can't just tear papers out that haven't been colored and shred them).  DS2 turned 3 in August, and could not copy a circle at his well check.  I asked the ped if that was expected and the Dr. said that was an advanced skill but some kids could do it when they turned 3, but more by 4.  I've never heard of opening jars; that's ridiculous...there are many jars I can't open easily.  You have to remember that all kids like to do things at different times.  Both my kids knew all their letters by 3, and my 6 year old is an amazing reader, but he still isn't a great printer, and will reverse letters, numbers and can only do a few lowercase letters.  He's really just not interested in that.  Ask him to draw a ghost or a monster, and he's all over that though! LOL

I've started bringing out some Kumon and other type connect the dots or scissor skills workbooks for ds2 (3yrs old) just to see if he'd like them...and he seems to really enjoy coloring the way ds1 never did.  They're all different, and I'm sure by the time our kids are in high school, they'll know how to make circles, etc...  I'm sure that some kids can trace letters at 2, but I'm pretty sure most wouldn't even be interested in trying.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page