I need healthy natural remedies for teething - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-01-2013, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need healthy natural remedies for teething...mods and admin, if there is a better forum for this, please feel free to move it there...with the new format, I am not able to find the forum where I posted a few holistic teething questions, so, I'm posting this here...Holistic Natural Mamas...I need your help...my husband and I use Hyland's teething tablets and gel which does seem to help a bit, and we put a little chamomile tea in his bottle mixed with his favorite non-dairy milk, and we freeze teething ring toys and occasionally wash cloths, though he shows no interest in the wash cloths, but he likes chewing on the toys...and tonight, my husband saw our sweet adorable baby boy chewing on his hand, wow, poor little boy...my heart goes out to all babies who are painfully teething and are irritable in pain...we put an amber necklace around his ankle under his onesie outfit because we feel it's safer than around his neck and occasionally I'll apply some chamomile oil drops to his gums and his cheek, but when he's this restless and irritable and miserable, he cries and screams and shoves and slaps my hand away and refuses to sit still long enough for me to help him...we've given him frozen bananas before, but I'm not comfortable with giving him that at night, sugar and fiber before bed, not a good idea...I read frozen waffles work, but that only works if he's hungry, but he usually makes a face and rejects it...is there another homeopathic or natural holistic brand and product we might be able to use to help him with the teething?  And no offense to the Mamas out there who feel the need to resort to big pharma, but unless it's a dire emergency, like he's going into shock, which has not happened, big pharma is not going to solve the problem, and the potential dangerous side effects and potential for it being addictive is just not worth it, and we're not certain it will help...natural holistic Mamas, any help, any ideas?  I really want to give him my breast, but with his sharp teeth and due to various painful traumas I suffered recently, at first, breastfeeding was beautiful and we had a wonderful sweet beautiful rhythm, but now, it's become very difficult, and I'm crying from the painful grief, so, I'm pumping...I really need to meet with a La Leche League supportive friend to help me here in Corvallis, Oregon, where we recently moved to...I appreciate it, thank you.

Thank you for being fragrance-free! Wear organic or wear nothing!
http://bodyearthself.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 11-02-2013, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

What helped us tremendously was an amber teething necklace.  When DD wears it while teething, there is a noticeable difference in her attitude and ability to cope.  Meltdowns are less frequent and less intense, the self gnawing is easy to redirect, and she settles easier at night.  We use this along with the hyland tabs and last time around I added in some pure vanilla extract rubbed on her gums.  With those three things, she was able to nurse easier which made her MUCH happier as she tends to have a nursing marathon in the 24-48 hours leading up to teeth breaking through.  Last round was 4 pre-molars and 2 incisors - all 6 popped out in one night!  I can't give her Tylenol (she's never had it but tested reactive at the ND's) and like you, we wouldn't look to pharmaceuticals unless it was a true emergency, so natural remedies are all we've done.  Hope this helps and hopefully you can get some help on the nursing front!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page