Weaning and Bed Transition - 24 months - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-08-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am ready to wean my daughter - she is down to nursing to sleep (nap and bed time) and once or twice in the night. I am also ready for her to move into her own room and bed.

I am willing to lay with her to fall asleep and then go to her room and comfort her with each waking. Am considering using a baby gate to keep her in her room when she wakes.

My question is: do I wean and move her in one transition? Or, what I was thinking (but am getting some negative feedback) is move her to her bed, keep nursing on demand (in her bed then leaving) and once she gets settled sleeping in her bed, then wean?

Any and all advice appreciated.

#2 of 3 Old 01-09-2014, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

We transitioned DD to her big girl bed at 24mos mainly because she decided to potty train and I wanted her to have full access to a potty at night.  She's still nursing (26mos) although slowly it's less and less.  Used to be immediately when I came home from my part time 4hrs at work, now she delays it a bit, and she used to fall asleep nursing and many nights she will nurse then pop off to fall asleep to me rubbing her back or sometimes I can even walk away and she goes out independently (rare but its been more frequent lately).  Lots going on for her with molars popping and whatnot so sleep is always crazy in our house!  I def will let her continue to nurse because for me I need that source of calming and comfort and she's such a dramatic, strong willed little thing I can't see weaning her until she decides, lol!  So guess it depends on your LO's personality a bit more than anything and whether you think she could handle the two at once (maybe play it up as the new bed is a new routine which doesn't involve nursing) or go for the one at a time.  I see no problem laying with a toddler in their bed to nurse them, that's just me.  Last night she actually kicked me out for a bit and requested daddy snuggle with her in bed which was hilarious for me to watch his 6' frame try to cram onto this itty bitty toddler bed :rotflmao

#3 of 3 Old 01-09-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks sassyfirechick. The more I think it through, the more I think I will get her used to her own bed, before I even try the weaning. If I think hard about what is causing me to want a change, it is the bed, not the nursing.

I am going to start in a week or so, when I finish painting her room and her friends can deliver her new "big girl bed" that I will try to make sound very exciting AND appealing!

Thanks for your feedback.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page