how does your 14 month old sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am compelled to ask this question as we are in yet another crappy sleep cycle.  I think its largely due to teething, and maybe some developmental stuff.  LO hasn't walked yet so Im sure she is working on that in her tiny little head.  She is down to one nap at 11 am, usually lasting around two hours give or take.  She winds down for bed at 6 and lights go out at 6:30 and we nurse to sleep.  The past few nights it has taken her around an hour to fall asleep (shes usually out in 20 minutes or so).  She wakes up to nurse to many times to count during the night, and then we are up between 6:30 and 7:30 (thank goodness she has been hitting closer to the 7:30 mark the past few mornings!)  SO, IM TOTALLLY CURIOUS, HOW IS (OR WAS) YOUR 14 MONTH OLD SLEEP?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Like crap :wink  LOL, sorry, we're still in crappy sleep mode at 26mos and 2 more molars to go!  That cycle of waking to nurse sounds like teething to me.  It's usually followed by a few good weeks of rest around here until another milestone crops up.  Currently it's teeth for us  but I also think she's got another developmental thing going on because she doesn't wake so much to nurse but she can't seem to wind down her brain to sleep so bedtime is later and later and takes longer and longer, ugh. Oh we've also begun to transition to the "daddy" phase so that may mean more sleep for me for once, woohoo!!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:02 PM

My 19 mth old did this at 14 mths and still does now. I keep waiting (in vain) for our sleeo situation to improve greensad.gif
Old 01-10-2014, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post
 Oh we've also begun to transition to the "daddy" phase so that may mean more sleep for me for once, woohoo!!

I cant wait for this phase!!! LOL! 

Old 01-10-2014, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the camaraderie ladies!!  I swear I am doomed to constantly run into other moms who claim to have amazing sleepers!  So its nice to be sleep deprived in such good company!! :dizzy:)

Old 01-16-2014, 10:01 AM

Just wanted to chime in with another terrible sleeper at almost 16 months. My little guy is currently waking up more than a dozen times a night to nurse and wants to switch sides every. single. time. My back is killing me. Sigh... I take comfort, though, in the fact that his big sister was also like this at this age. She has been a fantastic sleeper since she was about 3 1/2. And she's almost 6. Not even a challenging bedtime. I strongly believe it is because she had all of her nighttime needs met while she had them and now feels safe and secure in sleep. But, for now... Yawn...

Leigh Ann, Wife to David:, Mama to Rowan. Exhausted and loving it (most days). 

pos.gif !!!

Old 01-16-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

THANKYOU DelawareMom!!!!  I really need to hear those stories of "terrible" sleepers who grow into "good" sleepers!!  I am such a firm believer in bed sharing and letting the monkeys nurse as much as they want, but there have been times when I get a little worried that i'll never sleep again! LOL!  My sister always tells me I can sleep when I'm dead:rotflmao

Old 01-16-2014, 04:04 PM

Yes... Thanks Delawaremom... If you ever have any time I'm so curious how the transition to being a great sleeper occurred for yours.

My DS nursed constantly at night from birth until 22 months. I used the Sally weans from night nursing book to gently night wean him then as my back couldn't hack him being latched on all night by that stage. I don't think I could have night weaned as easily as I did if I'd tried it sooner. His language development really helped the process. Now he's 25 months, nursed to sleep and when he wakes at 6am. The difference in me is amazing even though he still wakes at least 4/5 times a night, he's usually soothed back quickly with my touch. We cosleep. My dream/goal is for him to fall asleep without nursing by this time next year. It seems impossible right now though .
Old 01-16-2014, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
My ds is 15 months and has always been a difficult sleeper. As a previous poster said we will go through good weeks where he only wakes once and sleeps through the rest of night and then he will get sick or start teething and wake all night! I do no co sleep but when he is sick or having a rough night I let him sleep with me! Do you breast feed? I'm starting to think breasted babies just wand more! My first wS breasted and formula fed and slept through the night. DS was EBF and I'm BLW now and he has only slept through the night two times....

DH 31; Me 30; DD 6; DS 1; Baby boy due Dec 17th

Old 01-16-2014, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire2b View Post

Yes... Thanks Delawaremom... If you ever have any time I'm so curious how the transition to being a great sleeper occurred for yours.

My DS nursed constantly at night from birth until 22 months. I used the Sally weans from night nursing book to gently night wean him then as my back couldn't hack him being latched on all night by that stage. I don't think I could have night weaned as easily as I did if I'd tried it sooner. His language development really helped the process. Now he's 25 months, nursed to sleep and when he wakes at 6am. The difference in me is amazing even though he still wakes at least 4/5 times a night, he's usually soothed back quickly with my touch. We cosleep. My dream/goal is for him to fall asleep without nursing by this time next year. It seems impossible right now though .

My lo is only 14 months, but I too am SO curious how nursing to sleep transitions to sleeping on their own!  I think I may have to night wean my lo when she is around two as well, as she has taken to wanting the nipple so much at night (mainly in the wee hours of the morning until she wakes up!) We will see how it goes, but I am making a mental note of that book just in case!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 PM

Oh and to add I had that problem at 14 months where he was all wound up at bed and I had to move his bed back an hour!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post

My ds is 15 months and has always been a difficult sleeper. As a previous poster said we will go through good weeks where he only wakes once and sleeps through the rest of night and then he will get sick or start teething and wake all night! I do no co sleep but when he is sick or having a rough night I let him sleep with me! Do you breast feed? I'm starting to think breasted babies just wand more! My first wS breasted and formula fed and slept through the night. DS was EBF and I'm BLW now and he has only slept through the night two times....

Yes we breast feed and co-sleep.  I am also going BLW.  My lo was a great sleeper for the first 4 months (during which I had insomnia and didn't sleep at all!) Then the four month sleep regression hit, and she has been a terrible sleeper since!  We have "good" and "bad" weeks too, but for us a "good" week still means waking up 2-3+ times a night to nurse.  If any of you have read The Wonder Weeks, my lo followed the patterns in there to a T!  From what I gather, for us mamas of "bad" sleepers, they tend to get it together around the three+ year mark or so.  I know their little brains are still not ready for grown up or "good" sleep yet, but as we tired mamas know, that's little comfort when you are a sleep deprived zombie mommy!!!

Old 01-17-2014, 02:17 AM

Yes very little comfort also considering I'm trying for #3! I can't be waking with 2 babies lol. Mine was also a good sleeper until he went to his crib. He started off in a rock n play and would sleep 6-8 hours straight!

Old 01-17-2014, 05:43 AM

I wholeheartedly recommend that book. There was once a point when I though night weaning would be impossible for my DS. It's amazing the difference in kid's language comprehension once they turn 18 months or so. My DS responds so well to books since 18 months, that perhaps I will try to make one for our next stage of sleep independence.

The wonder weeks info is great for those times when you panic and think you've done something wrong because your kid has started to go wild etc ;-D I've also heard 3.5 or 4 years mentioned a few times before as been the time when sleep matures for restless and reluctant sleepers. I can't even imagine what an uninterrupted nights sleep would be like. :-D
Old 01-18-2014, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire2b View Post

I wholeheartedly recommend that book. There was once a point when I though night weaning would be impossible for my DS. It's amazing the difference in kid's language comprehension once they turn 18 months or so. My DS responds so well to books since 18 months, that perhaps I will try to make one for our next stage of sleep independence.

The wonder weeks info is great for those times when you panic and think you've done something wrong because your kid has started to go wild etc ;-D I've also heard 3.5 or 4 years mentioned a few times before as been the time when sleep matures for restless and reluctant sleepers. I can't even imagine when an uninterrupted nights sleep would be like. :-D

I loved the wonder weeks book!! :)

oh, and I too day dream about what sleeping through the night would feel like, ahhhh, it feels good just thinking about it!!  I will never take a good sleep for granted as long as I live! LOL!!!

Old 01-19-2014, 02:55 AM

So true! :-D
Old 01-19-2014, 08:49 AM

By complete miracle my baby slept through the night at 4 months and it was pure bliss! I have had some nights where he does all his waking before I'm in bed for the night and then sleeps through when I'm asleep so that's nice but doesn't happen often! We don't regularly co-sleep but I feel like he sleeps better when we do! It just isn't something that works for my husband and I!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:30 PM

So this was her transition, that happened VERY gradually, with no clear plan, really. She and I shared a mattress on the floor, while DH slept in the guest room from the time she was one until we moved when she was 3. (We gently night-weaned at 2 and fully weaned at 2 1/2.) When we moved, she got her own room that we took A LOT of care making it really inviting for her. Painted it, special blanket from a beloved friend, etc. So she and I shared a queen bed for a couple months and then I started leaving after she fell asleep. I played musical beds for a couple months (she's always preferred me over DH for nighttime soothing, lucky me wink1.gif. ) And then, I decided to see if reassuring her with just my voice would work when she would wake and call for me. We are just across the hall and it did! I'd say something like," Mom and Dad are right here. We love you and it's not quite morning yet, so try to go back to sleep." And it worked! And I got a blissful year of sleeping all night long and then her baby brother was born. smile.gif And here I am again, a happy, tired mama. Hang in there, Mamas! I hope you all find the way that works best for your families.

Leigh Ann, Wife to David:, Mama to Rowan. Exhausted and loving it (most days). 

pos.gif !!!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

DelawareMom, congrats on your new baby!!! :joy

Old 01-22-2014, 07:13 AM

Thanks for taking the time to share your story Delawaremon :-)
Old 01-23-2014, 02:46 PM

Ok so last night I was sick and my husband got up with DS and got him back to sleep and then DS slept through the rest of the night! DH was very proud of himself! He covered him with a very warm blanket since DSs room gets cold and DH says he thinks he wakes so often bc he's cold! I have wondered this myself but even at 15 months I get worried that he could suffocate with a bigger warmer blanket! So I dress him in footy pajamas and he gets a covered with a smaller lighter blanket! Any thoughts on this ladies?

Old 01-23-2014, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

We had been running an infrared heater in DD's room - we've got a walk out basement and her bedroom is above the two exposed walls.  The basement is now insulated and less of an issue but still colder in her rom than the rest.  I've never been too worried about blankets, even as a baby she had them in her crib and never had trouble pushing them away.  And that's just the problem..she doesn't love a lot of bulky blankets and won't let me tuck her in!  I will say she's gotten better recently and I tend to cover her up better after she's asleep so we can leave the heat a bit lower in the house and not dry out the air so badly. I've just started to re-introduce footie pj's now that she's been mostly potty trained for about 3mos and I don't have to rush as much to get them off her.  This past week sleep has been a bit better and when she does wake up it's because she's rolled herself off the bed onto the floor and I do notice she's a bit chilly when I pick her up from there vs the bed.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeydef View Post

Ok so last night I was sick and my husband got up with DS and got him back to sleep and then DS slept through the rest of the night! DH was very proud of himself! He covered him with a very warm blanket since DSs room gets cold and DH says he thinks he wakes so often bc he's cold! I have wondered this myself but even at 15 months I get worried that he could suffocate with a bigger warmer blanket! So I dress him in footy pajamas and he gets a covered with a smaller lighter blanket! Any thoughts on this ladies?

Have you tried a sleep sack with warm footsie pjs (Im talking a thick fleecy pair)?   My room gets really cold and that's how we do it (we bed share).  sometimes if its super cold I will pull an extra corner of my blanket over her, but usually she is toasty in her sleep sack :) 

Old 01-24-2014, 12:27 PM

I do out him in warm fleece footies, I used a sleep sack when he was a baby but I don't have any for his size now! Maybe I will try that.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 AM

Hi mamas! I just wanted to tell you that last night was super cold so I put ds in really wRm fleece pjs and covered him with a warm fleece blanket and he slept through the night! Well I said a pray first to that he would sleep through the night too bc I've been sick lol! I woke at 7 am in disbelief and ran yo check in him! He had thrown the blanket out lol so I don't know when! I have a friend who is going to lend me a sleep sack so I'm gonna see how that goes!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

congrats!!! and feel better! :)

Old 01-25-2014, 03:18 PM

Thank you!