Shouting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-16-2014, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is 25months and has become extra loud and shouty recently. Lots of "no mammy", "no daddy", etc shouted a lot each day/minute. I'm sure this is normal, but any advice on responding?
#2 of 3 Old 01-17-2014, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I ignore.  I like to focus on what DD is doing that I like (she's 26mos and so lots overly dramatized events here as well) and when she gets loud or crazy or pitches a fit, I offer up support, if she doesn't want it, I wait til she asks for it.  If she's yelling because she wants something and thinks she's being funny, I might say "excuse me, but how do we ask for things" which she will immediately respond with "peese".  Generally she's incredibly polite and will say it without me asking and not only do DH and I always use manners around her, but we make a point to tell her how nice it is when she is polite and how happy it makes other people, like say if we're out at a restaurant - "see the lady liked how polite and calm you were so she brought you some crayons, thank you for being quiet at the table".  She likes to hear her echo so there have been times out in public where ignoring her maybe wouldn't be so nice to those around us in which case we will point it out that what she is doing might be ok at home, but not everyone around her appreciates it.  By bringing it to her attention that other people are watching she seems to be more conscientious of her choices and holds back a bit more.  But at home -we really just ignore :wink

#3 of 3 Old 01-18-2014, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you. I really agree with your advice and aim to follow in a similar vein. I think it's a little heightened right now as his speech is a bit behind, but in recent weeks it's really coming along well. It's just great to hear what other moms do. Thanks.
sassyfirechick likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page