3yo still napping. is this normal? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-28-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My 3yo DD still naps. Is this normal? She doesn't have any trouble sleeping at night, (she goes to bed anywhere between 7:00 and 7:30 p.m.) but I worry that she shouldn't still be napping. Not that I don't want the time to myself. No, that's not it, I just want to make sure she's all right.  

I'm the single mommy of nursing kids Tina (4) Joy (3)Abigail (1) and Aspin (3weeks). hear are some emoticons that describe me:
#2 of 8 Old 01-28-2014, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Absolutely! My DD will be 3 in March and I'm always disappointed when she decides to skip a nap (about once a week, usually when we wake up later than usual). Heck, I wish I could still nap and I'm 34. ;)

#3 of 8 Old 01-29-2014, 07:24 AM

I can remember having naptime in kindergarten and there were definitely kids who slept everyday. I think a three year old napping is perfectly normal and a blessing for you!
#4 of 8 Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 PM

Normal, my four year old is napping as I type.
Lack of napping in children may be a sign of the times, as I read a popular old child care book (late 1800s) and apparently it was very uncommon to drop naps prior to four years of age back then.
Then when I began really delving into the subject, apparently napping is cultural! Kids around the world take naps long after 6 years of age.. The following article has helpful info:
http://www.parentingscience.com/sleep-requirements.html
(Quote) " In many parts of the world, napping is a normal part of life for children and adults (Worthman and Melby 2002). In fact, the historical and anthropological evidence suggests that humans were designed to get their sleep in at least two separate shifts (Worthman and Melby 2003; Ekirch 2005).

So the British study is not representative of kids living in “pro-napping” or “siesta” cultures around the Mediterranean and in Asia, Africa, and the Americas.

For instance, in Saudi Arabia, napping is common among older kids. According to a study of school-age children in Riyadh, 45% of 13-year olds take regular naps (BaHamman et al 2006).

And even in countries where napping is discouraged by the mainstream, specific ethnic groups may encourage napping. In the Southern United States, African-American kids are much more likely to nap—and to nap more frequently—than are European American kids (Crosby et al 2005). In one study, 40% of African-Americans were still taking naps at 8 years of age (Crosby et al 2005).

Is the early abandonment of napping detrimental? For some kids it might be. Recent experimental research indicates that toddlers who skip naps are more likely to (1) show confusion and negative emotion in response to challenging tasks (Berger et al 2012) and (2) have trouble "downloading" new information into long-term memory (Kurdziel et al 2013). (End Quote)
lovemylab likes this.
#5 of 8 Old 01-31-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much to Ola_,MLog and Asiago. you've all helped a lot.

XOXO to you all!:joy

I'm the single mommy of nursing kids Tina (4) Joy (3)Abigail (1) and Aspin (3weeks). hear are some emoticons that describe me:
#6 of 8 Old 01-31-2014, 12:33 PM

My 6 and 4 yo's still nap. It's mandatory in my house! Not really....but highly encouraged.

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#7 of 8 Old 01-31-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

And a special thanks to you, lilibsmama. ( and the aliens under your desk)

#8 of 8 Old 02-03-2014, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Yes this is perfectly normal my daughter napped until kindergarten. She still beeps a nap I think but kindergarten us all day now! On the weekend she still naps usually. IMO people drop naps to early. They say their child won't nap anymore, but I just think kids test the waters and it's easier to give in than keep trying!
lovemylab likes this.

DH 31; Me 30; DD 5; DS 1; Baby due Dec 17th

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page