So much pink! Do you shop for your daughter in the boys' section? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-31-2014, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm really troubled by the amount of pink and frills and ruffles and lace in the girls' section, so I often shop for my daughter in the boys' section. 

Do you shop for your daughter in the boys' section? What have been your best finds so far?

#2 of 25 Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 AM

I will browse both sections when I have her with me. If it's just me I stay in the girls section. I love the frills and so does she lol. BUT by age 2 my daughter was picking out things she loved if she was with me...she now has a mix of boys and girls clothing that she has been picking out for the past two years. I loved dressing up my kids when they were little but I would never reject their opinion to what they like when they start stating their opinion.

I do love that she has a taste for everything.

Wife, mom of 3, obsessed with photography, crafting and blogging http://annleaartsy.blogspot.com/
#3 of 25 Old 01-31-2014, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, I always shopped both sections. But I find boys clothes to be super annoying sometimes with fire trucks and puppy dogs on them. I like Hannah Anderson stuff best in the colorful unisex stripes.
vanni and MiddleRiverMama like this.
#4 of 25 Old 01-31-2014, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

In the summer I bought boys white swim tops to go with her cloth swim diapers because of the huge size difference.  The girls sizes run so freaking small - tight and short - that when she would normally wear 9-12mos sizes in clothing (this was during her first summer when she was 7-10mos old) h swim tops in hose sizes wee far too small.  I'd have had to go up to a 2t to get it to not cut circulation off on her arms, whereas the boys 12mo was a perfect fit with room to grow.  I was pretty disgusted when I came to the realization that size differences between girls and boys begin sooooo young!!  DD is now almost 27mos and wears 3 and 4t at 34"/30lbs - but pretty sure she fits smaller sizes in boys.  So yes, we do sometimes shop in boys just to get the better fit.

#5 of 25 Old 02-01-2014, 09:04 AM

Most definitely.  I hate how polarized the fashion is.  Whatever happened to kids (not just girls vs. boys) clothes?  Neutral colors.  Minimal embellishments.  That's how I like to dress.  If I give my daughter (almost 2) the option, she almost always picks out a brown polar bear shirt or a batman shirt.  So I shop both sections and try to find some middle ground.  There is a great blog I like to read from time to time called Princess Free Zone (http://princessfreezone.com/) that covers this subject a lot. 

#6 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 AM

Yes! I avoid anything too girly, including clothing that features princesses and fairies. My granddaughter, aged two, loves to wear her boy cousin's hand me downs and t. shirts that feature dinosaurs which are available only in the boys' section. However, she likes wearing pink too and has a pink tutu like Angelina Ballerina. She loves climbing so she wears shorts most of the time. It is just as well she likes boy clothes as she has a new baby brother so economy dictates that many, though not all, clothes in the future will be ones she can hand down to her brother!

#7 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

There's a new kids' clothing company coming out called Jill and Jack that has the sort of thing you guys would like. They're looking for design feedback through a survey now, but one of their designs is a dinosaur shirt for girls. They're at www.JillandJackKids.com

#8 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 11:34 AM

My daughter is 2 and is beginning to have own opinions on clothing, which includes that she loves pink and purple. But I shop in both sections. She has a lot of striped boys' Old Navy long sleeve shirts that are soft and cozy. It can be hard to find girls' long sleeve shirts that are basic and don't have scratchy embroidery, ruffles, gathered shoulders, etc - those kind of clothes are good for sometimes but I also like for her to be COMFORTABLE.

#9 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 12:53 PM

I like zutano, Hanna Anderson, me too & tea. I buy as many gender neutral clothes as possible but dresses can be tough. Old navy and osh kosh aren't TOO bad.

Boys clothing can be just as bad with trucks, puppies and blue everything!

I have a harder time with the words...daddy's little princess, mommy's handyman...the worst bib ever Ladies Man...gross. I am more forgiving of the pink John deer dress because at least it tries...almost. I find it hard to not see as sexist and crass (and homophobic...kinda). I think it's part of sexualizing everything...but also extremely lazy.

I let my daughter pick her clothes and she does a good job. right now she has a cement mixer shirt she likes to wear with fluffy pink (skulls & peace sign) skirt.

I find the consignment shop and the second shops have better selection. I am also get hand me downs so I run them both my son and daughter through them especially pjs. For example they both have football pjs they wear together and they both have ruffled pink pjs they like to wear at the same time. I think they see it as sharing interests...although I think she's more into the footballs and he's more into dressing her up so she looks cute.

Whether its beige, blue or pink a monochromatic wardrobe is just not cool! ^_^
sassyfirechick likes this.

hola.gif My life in emoticon...oh, I've said too much blahblah.gif

lactivist.gifselectivevax.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.giftrekkie.giftreehugger.gifwash.gif

#10 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We don't shop for clothes in stores.  We shop online for better access to quality organic clothing and to avoid exposing our children to the gender dichotomy, and more and more as time goes on, we make our clothes at home.  That said, I know very well what you mean!

All of our children, regardless of sex, wear the same set of hand-me-down clothes until size 7.  We match styles of clothes to the child's development rather than sex-- long gowns are ideal for newborns so they stay warm but their diapers can be changed without much fuss, sweats/leggings and t-shirts are the ideal uniform of kids from rolling age until they walk competently, mid-length skirts and dresses are the most convenient attire for toilet training, and things that fit more loosely and don't fasten in the back are important for children working on dressing themselves.  Most of our little kids' clothes are neutral colors-- lots of grays, blacks, browns, whites-- my mother says our smalls look like tiny lawyers.  We also have some blues, greens, purples, and reds.  There's a little yellow, orange, and pink in there too, but because I find those colors less attractive and harder to match into outfits, they're definitely just an accent.

I think the primary purpose of a child's clothing is to protect them while not getting in their way too much.  I feel that a lot of girls' clothing these days is designed with decoration in mind instead of ease of developmentally appropriate movement.

Ponyomum likes this.
#11 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I shop online mostly, but I have found some things at H&M for my older DSD (about to turn 10).  Today she wore a black sweater with tiny silver skulls and plum skinny cords.  

For my infant DD, I buy everything for her from Zulily.  Almost everything is organic.  Very funky / Euro styles.  I dress her in cream / chocolate brown / purple / green / orange.  

Whenever she wears something the slightest bit frilly (or with any pink in it), the daycare teachers always say "That was a gift, wasn't it?"  Ha!

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#12 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 02:36 PM

I actually find a lot of Hanna's clothes too gendered. To me they've gotten more so in recent years. For example, the baby socks were recently offered in two shades of blue, two shades of pink, white and gray. No green, yellow, red. But I do like the quality.

I have been really pleased with clothes I've gotten from another Swedish company, Polarn O. Pyret. I like that they specifically have unisex in mind: "There is really no reason to design different models and fits for small boys and girls since there is no great difference in the way their bodies are shaped." That's basically how I feel. They also have a lot of nice clothes intended for girls in colors other than pink and pastels--rich reds, greens and blues. It's kind of pricey, but I mostly shop the sale section where the discounts are deep. The only complaint I have is that almost everything I've gotten from them has a tiny logo on it somewhere visible. I hate that. My feeling is that if my kid is going to advertise for a company, they should be paying us. :) But otherwise, I'd recommend them.

#13 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I often look in the boys section. I don't have too much trouble finding simple shirts, legging etc. there is plenty of non-frilly stuff and I like colour. But it is really hard to find shorts for girls. It is all skirts and leggings. Leggings are great for winter but our summer is way to hot.

I intend to make more as time goes on but I don't always have enough time.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#14 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

It is a bit overwhelming. Just wait until they start bombarding you with princess and Barbie stuff. It's really annoying. 

I had a boy first, and saved a lot of his clothes as hand-me-downs for my next child. I had a girl next, so I used mostly the gender neutral stuff for her...blue jeans and khakis were good. The nursery was gender neutral as well (John Lennon print).

My daughter had absolutely no hair for the first year and very short hair until she was 4. Her hair grew in so weird. I can't tell you how many times people thought she was a boy, even when she was wearing pink! Perhaps that is why baby girl clothes are so darned girly...because some baby girls have no hair  and can pass for boys...like that's the end of the world!

Now that my daughter is older (7) she likes to do dress up sometimes and even puts on make-up, but she was never into princesses and dolls...maybe because she has an older brother who she looks up to..I love it! I was really into match box cars in the early 1970s, and I didn't even have a brother. Thank goodness my parents were smart enough to buy me cars and not try to force me to play with dolls! 

sassyfirechick likes this.
#15 of 25 Old 02-06-2014, 10:48 PM

A 21-month-old, here.  We browse both sections, leaning more toward the boys.  I tend to steer clear of pink because it is so hopelessly overdone for girls.  Besides, she tends to pick bright primary colors (reds). Her Disney-loving uncle got her shirts for Christmas and had to avoid the girl section entirely at the Disneyland souvenir shops because there was nothing BUT pink.

Sometimes it feels like, starting from infants, children are relegated to candy frou-frou or mech-truck-tools-in-testosterone-camouflage--with little choice in between.

#16 of 25 Old 02-07-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarroq View Post

I had a boy first, and saved a lot of his clothes as hand-me-downs for my next child. I had a girl next, so I used mostly the gender neutral stuff for her...blue jeans and khakis were good. The nursery was gender neutral as well (John Lennon print).

My daughter had absolutely no hair for the first year and very short hair until she was 4. Her hair grew in so weird. I can't tell you how many times people thought she was a boy, even when she was wearing pink! Perhaps that is why baby girl clothes are so darned girly...because some baby girls have no hair  and can pass for boys...like that's the end of the world!

Same here.  When I found out my next child was a girl, I purged most of the stereotypical 'boy' clothes, but kept nice sweaters / rompers / jammies that were gender neutral.  I even saved some cute things in pale blue, which came in handy as my DD has GORGEOUS blue eyes.  My mom gave DS a beautiful baby blue cashmere sweater that he never wore, but I dress DD in it.

But people still ask how old 'he' is All.  The.  Time.  Especially when she wears outfits for our favorite sports teams...because I refuse to dress her in the pink versions.  Those aren't the team colors!!!  End rant....

Mom to DD heartbeat.gif (04.21.13)   DS blahblah.gif (8 years old) and DSD energy.gif(10 years old) and 2 dog2.gif and 2cat.gif
#17 of 25 Old 02-08-2014, 01:47 PM

This annoys me to no end! I don't know how we got here. . . where everything a girl wears has to have pink on it. We are at the point where if you see a child wearing a red, orange, or green coat, for example, you automatically assume it is a boy.  That isn't the same with adult women - my coat is red and it doesn't come off as a men's coat.  It is so hard to find clothes that is somewhere between ultra boy and ultra girl.  We do shop the boy section for some things - especially play shoes. Seriously, there isn't a single pair of shoes on the girl's side that doesn't have pink somewhere.  The boys get the whole rainbow and girls only get pink.  Why are tan and red shoes "boy's" shoes??  We are teaching girls they can only like 1 or 2 (lavender) colors!  And, I have NEVER liked pink, so it is especially annoying.  I don't have a problem with putting her in pink SOMETIMES.  Just not ALL the time. (My sister is all about pink and princesses, so of course she sends all that stuff for gifts, so I definitely don't need to buy any more.

We shop a lot of consignment, so often take what we can get.  I do love all the adorable outfits the high-end organic companies have, it is just waaay out of our budget.  Gap tends to have some girl's clothes that aren't overly pink and frilly. Gymboree also usually has a line or two that isn't overly "girly."

The problem is with toys, too. . . now, everything is pink and purple: play kitchens, play dishes, baby doll beds, easy bake oven, etc. These things used to be sold in colors that matched the real ones.  I'm pretty sure there aren't many house with a lavender/pink kitchen. . .  You can find others, but it is typically higher-end and harder to find.  I'm not sure why this has happened.  Are the companies pushing this or is this what is selling??? 

I recently saw a Lego ad from the 1980's and what the girl was wearing would be considered "boy's clothes/shoes" today.

bftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif  novaxnoIRC.gifmom to 1 DD (4/13) luxlove.gif

#18 of 25 Old 02-08-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Quote:
I can't tell you how many times people thought she was a boy, even when she was wearing pink! Perhaps that is why baby girl clothes are so darned girly...because some baby girls have no hair  and can pass for boys...like that's the end of the world!

This was DD - no hair the first year.  And even though I did have her ears pierced young, while wearing dresses she was referred to as a "cute boy" of which someone actually asked once why I'd pierce a boys ears...headscratch.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonjagrabel View Post

I recently saw a Lego ad from the 1980's and what the girl was wearing would be considered "boy's clothes/shoes" today.

Legos....have you seen the "girly" legos??? They are all about shopping, laying by the pool, riding ponies and have very little to actually build!  Thank god I saved all my pirates and imperial guard legos at my parents house because at least they require building and DD loves pirates!

My biggest gripe lately is the characters.  I went to buy a pair of winter boots, thought a generic shoe store would do - all they had was dora the explorer - which we don't watch.  Many shoes are this way.  I did end up driving to the more expensive place down the road for kamiks (it's also where we've gotten her stride rites and keens) but my wallet can't always take that kind of a hit especially when she outgrows them so fast!  A little bit of character wear is ok, but not an entire wardrobe.

#19 of 25 Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 AM

Try having a ds that likes pink and princess things ! We shop mostly online now. I get so tired of clothes being so narrowly focused on one gender or the other.
#20 of 25 Old 02-09-2014, 03:28 PM

Shopping in both is probably the practical way to go.  You are right there is a point where too many pink things become a bit too much.

#21 of 25 Old 02-09-2014, 04:09 PM

With this thread in mind, I did a google search...

Pink was once a boys color...
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2831/was-pink-originally-the-color-for-boys-and-blue-for-girls

My son likes to wear skirts..kilt

hola.gif My life in emoticon...oh, I've said too much blahblah.gif

lactivist.gifselectivevax.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.giftrekkie.giftreehugger.gifwash.gif

#22 of 25 Old 02-09-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaprovides View Post

With this thread in mind, I did a google search...

Pink was once a boys color...
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2831/was-pink-originally-the-color-for-boys-and-blue-for-girls

My son likes to wear skirts..kilt

Oh my!   :)

#23 of 25 Old 02-10-2014, 08:12 AM

All boys here so cant speak to the pink from experience, I know from many years of lifeguarding back in the day, that the swimteam/athletic style bathing suits make it so much easier for girls to play and swim without always tugging and pulling on their suits .  I just cringe when I see the tiny little strappy suits in the store, ugh, that is no way for a girl to have fun in the water!  (especially while boys get to be so comfy in trunks).  At least now the rash guard shirts are popular....and when you can find motif free ones, they are pretty unisex.

But I do enjoy that little kids get to enjoy dressing with quite a bit of creative licence without inhibition and worry about "matching" like grownups often do.  When else can you wear some polka dots, stripes, all sorts of colors together, rain boots, a viking hat, perhaps all at once on a sunny day and it looks just fine!   In that way I like (some!) of the little kid clothes motifs for that reason, simple things like a little duck or boat.  On the other hand, I really dont care for words on clothing...instead of "reading" a kid's (or adult's) body language and expression, listening to the hello, instead you find your self reading a shirt! "heavy duty job site...cute as a cupcake"??....I try really hard to be careful when I talk to kiddos not to talk about their clothes ("pretty dress, cool shirt", etc) , boy has that been a tough one to work on as I realized I used to do it so much!   Instead I try now to compliment talents or behaviors.  Yikes, I have gotten off topic!  

#24 of 25 Old 02-19-2014, 02:21 PM

It drives me crazy that clothing companies assume every little girl wants to be a princess, even if she's too young to get the concept! I was born in 1970, during the heyday of the gender-free clothing era, and I find this return to 1950s gender-role stereotypes nauseating. We have a 14.5 month-old daughter, Luthien, and have gone from shopping 50-50 in the girls' and boys' sections to purchasing exclusively clothing marketed to boys. I like the bright colors and bold patterns that are supposedly "for boys," especially cute monsters and science-fiction themes. Perhaps someday I'll have to contend with a princess phase, but for now, we're enjoying the chance to dress Luthien in clothes that allow her full freedom of movement and that have cool patterns. Many of Luthien's clothes are from children's thrift shops, where we've found some organic options, but a lot of the nifty, organic, fashion-forward, gender-neutral clothing is out of our price range, especially as she outgrows them so quickly.

Here she is in her giant robot shirt!

Rowdie likes this.

Naturopathic physician, licensed acupuncturist, writer, avid commuting cyclist and community-theater performer; joyful mother of Kathryn (adopted summer 2011) lady.gifand Luthien (born 11.30.12babyf.gif), and guardian of seven feline ascended masterscat.gif!

weadopted.gifbuddamomimg1.pngbftoddler.giffamilybed1.gif namaste.gifcd.giftrekkie.gif 

#25 of 25 Old 03-18-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We shop equally in boys and girls sections, but mostly I try to find unisex clothing. I have a 19 mo daughter, but if we have a son next, you can bet he will be wearing some 'girls' clothing.  I try to just stick to simple, soft, and comfortable clothing in lots of colors. I get a lot of stuff on Ebay and Consignment/Thrift stores, as I find the choices in most stores very limited and very gendered.  Not to mention, I have issue with paying full price for brand new clothing that will only fit for a limited amount of time when there is such an abundance of gently used clothing to be found. 

twins.gif M & B loving life together with Q baby.gif born 8/25/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page