Mothering Forum banner

How MUCH (solids) does/did your 12+-month-old eat (especially if BLW)?

636 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  PacificMar 
#1 ·
I have searched the archives and mostly found laundry lists of WHAT folks' young toddlers eat (apples, sausage, bread, quinoa, blah blah), but I'm wondering more about quantity.

Mine has always loved solids since we introduced them right at 6 months via BLW. She gagged a little at first, but not a ton, and has always liked most everything we've introduced, which is almost anything you can think of-- or if not at first, then pretty quickly.

She just doesn't eat much at a time.

Now, she's thriving and still nursing plenty (probably 4-7x/day and usually 1x in the middle of the night), so I'm not worried about her weight/nutrition/development or anything like that, but I do have ulterior motives.

1) In the next 6-12 months, I would like to go back on some medication I used to use (so, probably gentle mother-led weaning) and, to a much lesser extent...

2) The more solid her poops, the easier they are to catch (we do EC and she is awesome at telling us she needs to pee, but is a pretty stealth pooper-- however, when her poops are more solid, it's more obvious she's gearing up to poop and we can swoop her over to the potty)

Miss L is offered what we are eating about 2-3x/day, and "snackies" (mostly pure freeze-dried fruit and veg) here and there. She probably ingests about 1/4-1/2 cup of snackies per day, and at a meal, will eat a couple Tbsp at most of whatever... Maybe more at times. Nothing is spoon-fed and it's pretty much impossible to even place a bite into her mouth. She's had 8 teeth for a long time, no molars yet, but they're surely coming soon.

I DON'T want to and will not start forcing food into my kid or anything, but am wondering if this is one of those things that will go like, "At 12 months, she hardly ate solids, but by 15 months, she was eating a whole sandwich at every meal!" And I'm also wondering if I should be attempting to feed her solids before breastmilk more consistently-- that sort of thing.

So... what does/did your 12-month-old eat in terms of solids (volume)? And how did that change from 12-18 months? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
At 12 months my son didn't eat much less than what he does now and he's 2.5 years old, but it did range more. He sometimes had just a few bites, then at times, when he was going through a growth spurt, he would eat 2 plates worth, more than I ate. He also nursed a lot and his stools were never solid, I think he has a fast metabolism like his dad. He still doesn't eat a whole sandwich, but I always put a few different things on his plate, so he can eat what he wants and leave what he doesn't want. I didn't encourage him to eat more until a few months ago, when he would say he'd finished before he'd even started, just because he wanted to play, then he would pick bits of food off his plate to eat while he played, so he was obviously hungry. My son did start eating younger than daughter though and never gagged, he was a big baby too, so I wouldn't expect her to be eating as much. I did notice early on though that if he'd recently nursed then he wouldn't want to eat much. I didn't deny him nursing, just tried to serve food about half way between when I'd expected him to nurse and nursed straight after a meal.

#3 ·
My little girl is an "air plant" who prefers grazing over having meals, although she will chow down on things she adores, such as guacamole. She likes to carry pieces of fruit or vegetables around with her on her travels, snacking on them from time to time. It can take her an hour to finish the whole thing! She also doesn't like to sit down to eat. She prefers to eat "on the go." She is still primarily all about nursing--she even has that pesky toddler habit of "self-service" nursing, tugging at my shirt and flipping it up to get access to her favorite thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.