Need help with ds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-12-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every morning for the last month or more, he wakes up and before making a peep he takes his diaper off. This leads to varying levels of freak out on his part depending on the state of his diaper. Usually he yells "help" as he desperately clutches a poop filled diaper between his knees. The last two mornings he has had his diaper off before he poops, and that is no fun for anyone redface.gif Short of a video monitor (which we can't afford right now) so I can watch him like a hawk for any signs of waking up, what can I do?? We mostly have two-piece pjs, but it doesnt really matter as he can unzip the one-peice ones anyway. I tried a snap cover over the disposable he wears overnight but he can take those off, too. Generally the diaper he wakes up in is dry because he's taken to waking up around 3am asking to be changed.

He just turned two at the end of December, and since just after his birthday has become very aware of his bodily functions. He tells me as he's peeing, wants his diaper changed immediately, etc. We spent pretty much all of January and most of February home doing the naked butt thing hoping that would give him what he needed to learn his body enough that he could potty learn. No progress at all so for my own sanity (and his I think, he was getting really stressed out about peeing on himself and the floor) we went back to diapers ~ unstuffed pockets as "trainers" during the day and a disposable at night. I'm fine with this, I have no concern about potty training him at this point and am more than ok waiting for whenever he is ready. But the emergency bath and laundry every morning is wearing thin, plus, he's losing an houur or more of sleep a night because of this (which of course means so am I, and usually 4mo baby and/or several of his older sisters as well). Help?!?!
#2 of 7 Old 03-12-2014, 10:18 AM

My friend used to put her son in a one piece zipper suit, backwards, with a baby safe safety pin through the zipper pull, fastened to the pajamas. Or, if you are up before he is anyway, can you get him up, take him potty, and then put him back to bed?
#3 of 7 Old 03-12-2014, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

My DD was stripping by 15mos for a while, then by 2 she was pretty interested in the potty so we swapped her crib rail for the toddler rail with a potty next to her bed and she was in undies night and day.  Few accidents in the beginning, she still requests a diaper for pooping, but overall it's worked out well.  She did have a potty scare at 15mos via my pushy FIL so naked time and using the potty for a week regressed.  Second time around I didn't do naked time for her, just transitioned to undies and that was it.  She certainly didn't mind peeing on herself while naked but something about peeing in the undies and pants did not sit well with her.  So perhaps he's ready for a bed a transition so he can get up and at least let you know he wants changing before ripping it off?

#4 of 7 Old 03-12-2014, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You can cut the feet off of sleepers and then put them on backwards!
#5 of 7 Old 03-12-2014, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all! I forgot to mention I tried the backward pjs, but he flipped at the pressure around his neck. He is my most challenging child by far (#4 of 5) and really keeps me on my toes, so I'm quite sure I'm not ready to move him out of his crib ~ I really dont hink he'd come get me, and at least with things as they are I kow the mess is contained to his crib. Dont think I want to add "hunting throughout the house for last night's diaper and a pile of poop" to my morning routine, lol, not to mention all the other stuff he gets into even when I'm awake and watching him. So, as much as I hate to give up what precious little sleep I get between a nursing baby and an insomniac seven year old, I think the idea to get up before him is my best shot. I will Set my alarm tonight and hopefully wake him to use the potty before he wakes on his own. Fingers crossed!
#6 of 7 Old 03-12-2014, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuleicamoon View Post

Thank you all! I forgot to mention I tried the backward pjs, but he flipped at the pressure around his neck. Go to Goodwill and find one for cheap and cut the back down so that when he wears it backwards it won't put pressure on his throat.  He is my most challenging child by far (#4 of 5) and really keeps me on my toes, so I'm quite sure I'm not ready to move him out of his crib ~ I really dont hink he'd come get me, and at least with things as they are I kow the mess is contained to his crib. Dont think I want to add "hunting throughout the house for last night's diaper and a pile of poop" to my morning routine, lol,   Aw, why not?!  LOL  not to mention all the other stuff he gets into even when I'm awake and watching him. So, as much as I hate to give up what precious little sleep I get between a nursing baby and an insomniac seven year old, I think the idea to get up before him is my best shot. I will Set my alarm tonight and hopefully wake him to use the potty before he wakes on his own. Fingers crossed!

Bring back the old MDC
#7 of 7 Old 03-13-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A friend used to diaper pin her son's pj top to the bottoms because he did something similar. Not sure what came of it but thought I'd share.
Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page