Urine and Blood test part of standard 12 mo checkup? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As the title suggests, my family doctor wants me to have blood and urine work done for my baby before he turns 1. This seems to be her standard procedure. Did your pediatricians or family doctors request something similar?

We took my older child to a pediatrician until he was over 1 year old, and we never had to do this so it seems odd to me (we moved and had to find a new doctor).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
What is the reasoning for it? Is there something she is looking for? My DD sees my doc and he has never asked for anything like that
Old 03-24-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:

Originally Posted by marilyn612 View Post

What is the reasoning for it? Is there something she is looking for?

I asked that exact question - it just seems to be part of her "standard operating procedure". I'm going to call the office again next week and press the issue some more (we still have several months before we are supposed to do it - she gave us the paperwork at his 9 mo appt to get the tests done and results to her before his 12 mo appt). I didn't want to immediately put up a big fuss about it if it was normal, and my experience with my older child had been abnormal. I'm not opposed to tests if they are necessary, but I hate to put him through it if it is not necessary! He was a little jaundiced at birth (not enough for the lights or anything like that), so she had us get his bilirubin levels checked again when he was about 2 wks old to make sure they were going down, but other than that he's been healthy as a horse (or at least seems that way)! 

Old 03-24-2014, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Blood- yes, pretty standard, for lead and iron levels. Urine, no. The AAP has a guide called "bright futures" which is their recommended screening/well child guide to everything. http://brightfutures.aap.org
Old 03-24-2014, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
The blood testing for iron is done in some practices and not others. Our doc never did them.

Out of curiosity, is your son circumcised? If not, I wonder if your doc is screening for UTI. Some docs perceive the risk of uti in intact babies to be greater than what it really is. Routine urinalysis seems odd to me. I'm speculating, but it's one possibility if your baby's intact and the doctor is more pro-circ.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 03-24-2014, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Come to think of it, if he's intact, make double-triple sure that they don't insist on checking his urine using a catheter! Catheters are painful and unnecessary. greensad.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 03-25-2014, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post
The AAP has a guide called "bright futures" which is their recommended screening/well child guide to everything. http://brightfutures.aap.org

Thanks for the link! I've downloaded the pdfs to look through. I don't know why I didn't think about checking their site - it definitely makes sense that they would have a recommended guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

I wonder if your doc is screening for UTI.

Hmm...interesting. She didn't make any mention of a concern, but maybe I'll ask more pointedly. We actually went with her over the "national chain type" of pediatric group in the area because she seemed more accepting of different parenting styles than they did. Some in her practice circumcise, some don't; some vaccinate, some don't, and I've never heard her make a judgment statement either way.

As for the catheter concern - I agree - no way would I allow them to use a catheter! What they actually gave me is this little "collection bag" that has a sticky opening that you're supposed to stick over him and then after he pees in his diaper, retrieve the bag and pour the urine into a collection cup. Uh, yeah....I can see so many ways that that could go differently than planned!

Old 03-25-2014, 12:02 PM

this is reasonable. all people are different. this need to know the parameters of your child healthy.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Never been asked that by a ped....actually if there is no underlying concern/outwards symptoms, many of the baseline levels mean zilch on their own.  To get a specific picture of anything you need specific testing and that doesn't come up on standard bloodwork.  I'd ask more specifically what it was they were looking for with those results.  Easy way to make a mountain out of a molehill is to get some random info and nothing to tie it into, YKWIM?

Old 03-25-2014, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

Easy way to make a mountain out of a molehill is to get some random info and nothing to tie it into, YKWIM?

I completely know what you mean! One test can lead to another test that can lead to another test really quickly and in the end the decision can be that nothing was wrong to begin with! I'm definitely going to ask more questions. My little one was exclusively breastfed until almost 9 mo (I've basically been letting him decide when and what type of food he wants, and he only recently decided that "real food" was interesting), so now I'm wondering as well if maybe the doc is concerned about iron levels because she knows that I chose not to give him any iron supplements (there's that false (imho) belief that breastfed babies don't get enough iron)? I'm compiling a list of questions to ask her to make sure that I dig down enough to get as "complete" of an answer as I can, and that one is going on my list too.

User Tag List