Adjusting (or not) to new sibling - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-30-2014, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Ds will be 2 in a couple weeks and his baby sister will be 4 weeks tomorrow. Ds used to be so sweet and relatively "easy" (for a toddler) but since his new sis has come he has been throwing tantrums like every day.
To make it worse she cries every evening for about an hour and wakes up at about 5 am and grunts for an hour and then pushes out poop for 1/2 hour then passes out, which is very disruptive for all of us because we all 4 room share. So basically it's ds screaming intermittently throughout the day, then he goes to bed at 8 and she screams for an hour or two, then we all get woken up at 5 am exhausted. It's becoming increasingly hellish. Also, I live ds so much but since dd was born I do feel a little less connected to him and I feel terrible about it but also I feel generally annoyed by his increased neediness and concerned that this may be his new behaviour for the foreseeable future. I feel bad saying that!
#2 of 4 Old 03-30-2014, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What you are feeling is normal. Really normal and also okay. This is a really hard transition for all of you. My children are similarly spaced and truth be told there were many days in that first year that I felt like we just barely survived. It does get better! Right now I'm sitting inside typing this message as my 6 and 7 year old play peaceful in the backyard, they are the best of friends.

Any chance you can maximize sleeping for now? For example one partner sleeps during the evening cry and then gets up for the morning grunting/pooping? Or create another sleeping space for 2 of you?

#3 of 4 Old 03-30-2014, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thsbks. I'm cutting out dairy to see if that helps with dd's fussiness. Now that we have our guest room back we do have 2 sleeping spaces
#4 of 4 Old 03-30-2014, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

I'm very much looking forward to a time when they can play together

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page