Two- year-old's bedtime is driving me nuts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-30-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My two-year-old is taking SO long to fall asleep at night these days, and he can't fall asleep on his own so I am stuck there cuddling him for over an hour. Arg!

Anyone else? Anyone figured out a brilliant solution? orngtongue.gif

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#2 of 14 Old 03-30-2014, 05:24 PM

Ugh we are in the same boat! I hope someone has a suggestion
#3 of 14 Old 03-30-2014, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

It's nice to know I'm not the only one, but I'm sorry that you're dealing with that too.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong, but I've tried changing various pieces of his bedtime without much success.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#4 of 14 Old 03-30-2014, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

only thing that works here is skipping the nap. then bedtime is a breeze around 7:30 or so. Course, some days he really, really needs a nap! Those days he won't pass out till 10-11. Uuuggghhh. So, the way to keep it the least painful is to not even start the process till 9:30. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#5 of 14 Old 04-04-2014, 09:55 AM

We are currently in a "not so good" phase of bedtime - taking a long time - but a few months ago I transitioned from cuddling in bed with my daughter to sitting in a chair and reading to myself with a flashlight. Now, at least if it takes a thousand years (feels like that, right?) I can read. Interestingly, my daughter was REALLy clingy at bedtime and was into controlling how I lay on the bed and everything, so I figured this would be a tough sell but it worked pretty quickly. My daughter is almost 3 and as far as I can tell the speed which she will go to sleep goes through various phases. *shrug* (though being outside and getting lots of active play probably helps!) Good luck. You have my sympathy!!

ballerina85 likes this.
#6 of 14 Old 04-04-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

It's interesting that your daughter transitioned so easily to you sitting and reading. Maybe I'll try that!

#7 of 14 Old 04-04-2014, 08:03 PM

I really want to try the gradually moving further away approach but my daughter is only 22 mths and I'm not sure she'd really understand what I was trying to do.. If we aren't right with her she gets pretty upset.
#8 of 14 Old 04-05-2014, 11:13 AM

We are soooooo in the same boat. We have always put him to sleep in our room then moved him to his toddler bed with no problem at all. Lately, he's not been wanting to fall asleep til about 10 so we read one book then turn off all the lights. This puts him to sleep faster but he still jumps and wants to play. It's been awful. He wakes up at 7:30 am every day and goes to his preschool then naps 2 hours there so it throws us off at bedtime since he isn't the type of kid that needs naps anymore.
Also, he's been waking up at 5 am in his bed and comes to our bed which is ALSO driving me nuts. He is regressing. I don't know if it's because I'm pregnant or if he's going through a growth spurt or what but since he was 4 months old, we've never really had an issue with bedtime / length of sleeping until now. It's. Just. Awful.
#9 of 14 Old 04-05-2014, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

We put up black-out shades a few days ago and it REALLY helped us (at least for now).

#10 of 14 Old 04-06-2014, 04:10 AM

I'm sorry you are having a rough time getting your little man off to sleep. What I do with Juniper is read her a bedtime story. It's become habit since she started talking, but when she seems uninterested, what I do is play teddybear hide and seek. We have a little knitted teddybear dressed in green bib-and-braces called Little Ted. I get Juniper to shut her eyes while I hide him. Juniper looks around, but she follows my eyes and soon finds it. I 'walk' Little Ted, bouncing along her bedclothes as she laughs. I find this tactic very useful when she can't sleep.

#11 of 14 Old 04-06-2014, 04:35 AM

My daughter has always had sleep issues, I've read more sleep books than I can count and serious discussions with my husband of how in the heck we're gonna eft this this kid to sleep, now we follow a strict bedtime routine. One thing I read that was eye opening was watching for their sleep window, and if she misses it I'm screwed and I know she'll be up far too late. She is 3 and is happiest when she gets 9-10 hours of sleep. She also stopped napping at 2 so I have to remember she needs to make up for that. Between 6-6:30 we start her routine, first it is teeth brushing and sitting on her potty, than she picks out her pajamas, she gets to choose whether she wants to listen to her little bro's bedtime books, if not we move to her bedroom where she picks out bedtime books, all in her room and pertaining to bedtime. She lays in her bed while we read to her, she also needs her lovey and stuffed doggy. After books we turn on Dora nightlight, check for monsters and spray the monster spray to keep the monsters away, there is also a song. She requests a story she doesn't know, right now the topic is chocolate. The five minute check has been a godsend, before that we were sitting in her room with her until she feel asleep which equaled a grumpy adult and a way too awake toddler. Now we check on her twice at 5 minute intervals than 10 minutes she barely makes it to the 10 now. We spent a LOT of time hammering out this routine and we try and support each other as parents as much as possible. Funnily enough I thought she would never fall asleep without us but I found the more we let her control certain things the more willing she was to fall asleep! There is hope for parents with a sleep resistant child, even her grandmother called her (sleep routine, sitting by bed) difficult but now it's way easier. Hugs! Hope any of this helps, I know the problems of sleep deprivation.
ballerina85 likes this.
#12 of 14 Old 04-06-2014, 08:33 AM

Upmomma that gives me hope! When were you able to start that routine? Last night was so awful she woke up in the middle of the night and tossed and turned beside me for over an hour until my husband rocked her to sleep.. I just don't get it! What is preventing a not even 2 year old from sleeping?? It's not like she's lying there stressing over bills! A few times she would be almost asleep and then up.. I don't think she'll ever "self soothe"... Feeling a bit hopeless
#13 of 14 Old 04-07-2014, 07:25 AM

We struggled with going to sleep from 2 months old to 1.5 with DS. He sleeps in a crib in his own room. I read No Cry Sleep Solution early on. We developed a routine and were very consistent with it, but were still lying next to the crib for an hour each time until DS fell asleep. Then there were at least three wake ups during the night. It was brutal. Finally we decided to try just doing the routine and leaving the room. The first night we had to go in several times at five minute intervals to reassure him. It took 20 minutes for DS to fall asleep. The second night it took 10. The third night he was asleep before 5 minutes were up. Now, at 22 months he goes down for nap and bedtime with no fuss at all, is asleep within minutes and rarely wakes. He sleeps from about 7pm-7am and naps 12-1:30.

There is hope! You just have to find what works for your family. It may take some trial and error, but this too shall pass!
#14 of 14 Old 04-08-2014, 05:05 AM

We started a routine around 1 1/2-2 years old, it's funny how different kids can be too, my daughter has always been a challenge sleeper but my son often falls asleep within minutes of laying him down and only wakes up at night if he is teething. I'm glad I could provide hope! When sleep issues are going on it can be horrible

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page