Exercise videos as screen time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-31-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What are your thoughts on exercise videos for a one and a half year old toddler, as it relates to the negatives of screen time?  My primary reason for not showing any television to my toddler is that I don't want to immerse her in what I view as junk culture, which would not happen as a result of exercise videos (though it could create a slippery slope).  However, I also know that there are other downsides to screen time, mostly to do with understimulation of the mind compared to freer and more active pursuits.  Would watching and following an exercise (or yoga) video have these downsides, as well?

I would like to watch such a video with her because I need exercise and she seems to enjoy anything that is highly active.

#2 of 3 Old 04-02-2014, 11:33 AM

My big kids and I do P90X with their little brother underfoot.  He doesn't seem to pay any attention to the screen, preferring to play with the weights, push-up stands, etc.  We also give him snacks to distract him while we're exercising.  Other than that, we watch no tv.  The older kids occasionally play Xbox, and the toddler wanders in and out, but doesn't seem interested in watching at all.

Hope that helps!

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#3 of 3 Old 04-07-2014, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  I would actually want her to watch and follow along - or, watch me and follow along.  I am looking at it as a joint activity.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page